Newspaper in Impeller

/ Newspaper in Impeller #11  
Been snow blowing others drive ways for some time now.Despite my pre-season requests to clear away obstacles, I'm still amazed at what I hit. Two worst, 1. Rubber garden hose, 2. Yellow polypropylene robe tied to a dogs toy (Kong). Both stretched and wound up, did not shear any bolts, (my machines all have two shear pins each) resulting in stalls. Took a long time to get out and almost every type of tool I own.

/ Newspaper in Impeller #12  
I came too close to my doghouse and snagged the 20'+ dog chain with my blower with the 60# golden retriever hooked to it. :eek::eek::eek:

It was a front mount and I got it shut down with about 3 feet of chain left. He was getting sucked toward me with all four paws dug in. Lucky him it was a front mount and I could see. I would hate to unwind him fro the impeller.

/ Newspaper in Impeller
Been snow blowing others drive ways for some time now.Despite my pre-season requests to clear away obstacles, I'm still amazed at what I hit. Two worst, 1. Rubber garden hose, 2. Yellow polypropylene robe tied to a dogs toy (Kong). Both stretched and wound up, did not shear any bolts, (my machines all have two shear pins each) resulting in stalls. Took a long time to get out and almost every type of tool I own.

A person I know got a hydraulic hose in the blower. He said he was hours with a grinder getting it out.

/ Newspaper in Impeller #14  
Snow removal is not an issue for me (yet) but if I lived in the snow belt and asked/stated to my neighbors about the need for keeping driveway clear of objects, and had preventable issues (news paper not really their fault), They would be shoveling their own driveway for a long time...

/ Newspaper in Impeller #15  
That is why I have stopped being so helpful to others with my equipment. Been there. *** It's just a theory (unproven), but the model works for me until a better one comes along. How about "Give me a cash deposit for the full new value of my equipment and I will wander over to your place at my convenience to take a brief look at the job you propose". $250 barn call, btw.

Sounds like a plan. As a young man you wonder why so many old men are grumpy, ornery, and assume everyone is trying to cheat them. Then life experience explains it to you. (Don't think of me as a negative person, just a realistic one.)

OP, what brand/model of snowblower do you have? Just curious.

/ Newspaper in Impeller #16  
Fortunately no newspaper in my blower - when I had one. First trip of the season, down my mile long gravel driveway, was always a "surprise". Rocks, limbs and chunks of wood - that first trip usually cost - two shear pins. Not all that bad - remainder of the winter - some years as much as two more shear pins.

My 80 acres here is the remainder of an old 320 acre homestead. The couple that homesteaded here LOVED barbed wire. Its the old "flat wire barbed" kind. Main strand is around 10 gage. Over 20 years of opening and expanding our garden site with my Troy Bilt - I've wrapped up enough of that old barbed wire to sink the QE ll. Its NOT a lot of fun removing old barbed wire from a tiller. As I can imagine how the bundle of newspaper must have wrapped up in the impeller.

Helping neighbors is a very nice gesture. Helping neighbors that have no knowledge of tractors can be a real nightmare. First snow of the season - I went directly across the county road and plowed the brand new neighbors driveway. He said - "smooth as silk, no big rocks". I should have worn my seat belt - fortunately I went dead slow but it still tried to throw me out of the tractor. When finished, all I did was clear my throat because his face was red as a beet. Then the famous utterance - "Well, I guess I won't have to worry about those big rocks in the driveway any more". I still talk to him, but only because his wife baked me a strawberry/rhubarb pie.

/ Newspaper in Impeller
Sounds like a plan. As a young man you wonder why so many old men are grumpy, ornery, and assume everyone is trying to cheat them. Then life experience explains it to you. (Don't think of me as a negative person, just a realistic one.)

OP, what brand/model of snowblower do you have? Just curious.

It's a Kubota BL2664, a rebranded Blizzard I believe. Truth be told I'm pretty disappointed it didn't have the power to shred it and throw it out the chute. I would have thought it would have no trouble with a roll of papers.

And it was my own fault going in their with the snowblower. The guy is unemployed dopey with a messy yard. I should have known better.

/ Newspaper in Impeller #18  
Ad flyers jammed in the auger - been there, done that. Thankfully have never had any get to the impeller. The only thing that I have found to work is oxy-acetylene torch. The oscillating saw sounds like a great idea - I hope I never have the chance to try it.
And the shear pins never break because it is not an instantaneous stop, it's a (relatively) slow wedging. Just like a tire jamming the bush cutter - been there too.

/ Newspaper in Impeller #19  
I came too close to my doghouse and snagged the 20'+ dog chain with my blower with the 60# golden retriever hooked to it. :eek::eek::eek:

It was a front mount and I got it shut down with about 3 feet of chain left. He was getting sucked toward me with all four paws dug in. Lucky him it was a front mount and I could see. I would hate to unwind him fro the impeller.

That's awful but fortunate you were able to shut down in time. I read the post to my wife and she was in tears! Another good reason to keep animals and bystanders far away from equipment while in operation.

The newspaper bundle in the impeller reminds me of the idiots at work that dump a wad of flattened cardboard boxes in the compactor and then get them wedged between the ram and the top of the throat opening...we had to get the disposal company to pull the bin away from the compactor in order to get the cardboard un-jammed. Due to human stupidity, this is a recurring problem. This is why the compactor is bolted to the concrete slab as well!

/ Newspaper in Impeller #20  
If I still had the blower and would have used it on the neighbors new driveway - I would have to have brought a bucket full of shear pins. Fortunately, with the new Kubota I have a very heavy duty rear blade - no shear pins.

When I would use the blower - my dog was always kept in the house. ONCE - the dog got to close to me plowing with the rear blade and like the snow - he was tossed to the berm. No damage done but he quit following/playing around the tractor while I plowed snow. Scared the living snot out of both of us.