Newspaper in Impeller

/ Newspaper in Impeller #1  

Topesrule

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060HSTC
Helping out a neighbor today with the snow and got a bag of fliers stuck in the impeller. Stalled tractor and seized the snowblower up solid. Tried burning it, utility knife, screw driver and hammer before I read online that an oscillating multi tool was the best. It still took me a while after trying it but finally dug and cut it out.

It actually bent the drum bad enough to chip the paint on the outside: IMG_1492.JPG

Anyone have experience with removing stuff like this? What a racket.

/ Newspaper in Impeller #2  
Wow. I’ve never caught paper in the blower, and I would not have expected it to damage the drum. Shouldn’t the shear pin have given way? Most blowers I have seen have one on the pto shaft.

/ Newspaper in Impeller #3  
That really sucks. I don't have a blower on a tractor, but with my walk behind I have seen branches and rocks get chucked out without issue. I sure hope there was a coupon in the bag for a free Whopper or something. :)

/ Newspaper in Impeller #4  
Disconnnect the driveshaft and see if you can use a large pipe wrench to turn it backwards.

/ Newspaper in Impeller #5  
Indeed a P.I.T.A. trying to remove...better than a rope believe me. :rolleyes:
Zailsaw also works.

/ Newspaper in Impeller #6  
I had the same thing happen. I tried for years not to get the darn thing delivered to my house, they just throw it in the drive, wrapped in plastic. I wrote my only letter to the editor about it, didn’t get published, naturally. I even collected a bunch, threw them at their door, along with a note. No response to that either. It also took 2 days for them to pick them up off the sidewalk. I never liked the paper that they publish either. They never, ever, publish anything critical of the locals. Just feel good crap.

/ Newspaper in Impeller #7  
That is why I have stopped being so helpful to others with my equipment. Been there. One even wanted me to pay for a new kid's bike that was left out in a hay field. Imagine what it did to my 9' mower ! I know what's in my driveway, fields, and fences. I no longer trust others to know what's in theirs. Since they don't have the tools, they don't know the pitfalls in they way of using it. Once had a guy help himself to a roll of my silver soldering wire to Rube his car's exhaust system up until he could get it fixed. "Gee, really?". Tilling a garden for another neighbor ("There's nothing in there except dirt") pulled up a bowling ball (bent the main shaft) and wrapped enough chicken wire around it to ruin my week. "Sorry about that." doesn't cut it anymore. Repairs, parts and down time are too big to gamble on for me. It's just a theory (unproven), but the model works for me until a better one comes along. How about "Give me a cash deposit for the full new value of my equipment and I will wander over to your place at my convenience to take a brief look at the job you propose". $250 barn call, btw.

/ Newspaper in Impeller #8  
I had the same thing happen. I tried for years not to get the darn thing delivered to my house, they just throw it in the drive, wrapped in plastic. I wrote my only letter to the editor about it, didn’t get published, naturally. I even collected a bunch, threw them at their door, along with a note. No response to that either. It also took 2 days for them to pick them up off the sidewalk. I never liked the paper that they publish either. They never, ever, publish anything critical of the locals. Just feel good crap.

If you don't want the papers that they drop, here's what to do. It worked for me. Send them a registered letter stating you do not want the paper and the next time they drop one you will make a formal complaint to the police, and have them arrested for littering. I tried everything' and nothing worked until I did this. It stopped immediately and has never happened again.

/ Newspaper in Impeller
Disconnnect the driveshaft and see if you can use a large pipe wrench to turn it backwards.
I did try that. It's hard to believe how solid it jammed. Once I cut away the paper on both sides of the blade I had to hit the impeller with a maul to get it to move.

It was the first time the tractor ever stalled. The blower has two shear pins.

I spent two hours snowblowing after that and everything seemed to work fine. I imagine with the drum bent like that there's more opportunities for objects to jam in between the drum and the impeller with the increased clearance. we'll see.

Neighbors will be getting ploughed not snowblowed from now on.

/ Newspaper in Impeller #10  
Obviously not "Fake News", nothing but HARD facts. Not really funny,must have felt like hitting a log.