JD 47-inch blower problems

/ JD 47-inch blower problems #1  

Z71

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere X738
Got a 2010 JD X728 with 47-in JD snow blower. After dealer rebuilt blower last year (chain and gears worn out <100 hrs) is has not been pushing out the snow like it once did or my neighbors similar machine. I always end up with a snow bank in front of the blower as if it cannot handle even 4 inches of light snow.

Anyone have an insight as to why this is occuring?

No broken shear pins, auger throws snow but can't handle the load like it once did. Dealer service was not helpful.

Last edited:
   / JD 47-inch blower problems #2  
If this is a two stage have you confirmed the auger shear pin in not broken? I.e. have someone watch while you push into a pile of snow. This sure sounds like the symptoms of a infeed auger not turning under load.

/ JD 47-inch blower problems
2 stage.

Shear pin is not broken, just checked it.

/ JD 47-inch blower problems #4  
I don’t know a lot about these but the idea an unhelpful dealer changed sprockets and chains has me wondering if the gear ratios were changed because the dealer had some parts laying around. Can you count gear teeth on your neighbor’s blower compared to yours?
Again this is a shot in the dark- I don’t know much about blowers.

I thought the same thing but when it asked him he claims the parts are all the same so it was impossible to mix up parts and slow down the machine, just laughed at that. I check out my neighbors machine but I am fed up with JD service.

By the way this is a 1-horse dealer, salesman and his B'n'L is the service tech so no telling what they might done.

/ JD 47-inch blower problems #6  
Compare the auger speed on yours to those shown on YouTube with X728s and 47 blowers. The wrong gearcase could have been put in. Is your pto 2000 rpm or does it have the 540 box ?

/ JD 47-inch blower problems #7  
You might verify your PTO rpm versus what rpm the snowblower is meant to have.

Some tractors will run the PTO at 1000 rpm or 540 rpm.

I'm unsure if you mean the auger isn't feeding fast enough or the impeller isn't throwing the snow fast enough or both.

/ JD 47-inch blower problems #8  
I just looked up your tractor, are you using a front snowblower or rear?

It shows your front PTO runs at 2000 rpm, rear at 540 rpm.

/ JD 47-inch blower problems #9  
I just looked up your tractor, are you using a front snowblower or rear?

It shows your front PTO runs at 2000 rpm, rear at 540 rpm.

The JD47 is a front mount, I had one.

DSC00154_zpsd1d8e85d.jpg

Its hard to see detail in pic due to stormy weather today but notice the snow appears pushed, thats whats happening. A pile of snow forms in front of the auger.
DSC00689_zps4z67mikm.jpg

Has a cab on it today.........
DSC00679_zpszjilna7s.jpg