Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow
Deerherd, that's a real nice looking tractor. How wide is the plow on there?

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #12  
If you push hard enough in float the front of the tractor will lift. How hard you have to push depends on loader geometry, and weight on front tires.

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #13  
Do some more reading on plows that float on a chain. After using one for over 10 years I couldn’t use a plow without it. My drive is long with twists and undulating areas. Mostly gravel. Keeping the FEL raised slightly lets the plow float and stay on the drive surface. That keeps the FEL weight on front wheels for traction. I use a Hiniker Big Ox but there are others. For flat driveways I could understand a plow that doesn’t float, but not for one with humps and dips.

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #14  
My tractor weighs somewhere between 3400# and 4000# depending on what spec sheet you read.

Not sure that using the plow without the loader in float would work very well. My driveway is not smooth and there are little bumps and hollows everywhere. If I try to adjust the loader setting to get close to the surface It will be the wrong height most of the time. That is why I was planning to use the float mode. I do have problems with the loader in float mode while using the bucket as the leading edge will sometimes dig in and the loader will lift the front of the tractor up.

Is the digging in issue only when the ground is soft or does it also occur when there is a frozen base on the driveway. I sure don't want to spend all this money and find out I don't like the setup. Wish I knew someone with one of these so i could try it first.

See post two- I may not be explaining it too well. I stay frozen all winter and have a few inch layer of ice/snow that stays over the road base. In early or late season my blade with feet can dig so I end up using my box blade to push the snow with my box blade.

Do some more reading on plows that float on a chain. After using one for over 10 years I couldn’t use a plow without it. My drive is long with twists and undulating areas. Mostly gravel. Keeping the FEL raised slightly lets the plow float and stay on the drive surface. That keeps the FEL weight on front wheels for traction. I use a Hiniker Big Ox but there are others. For flat driveways I could understand a plow that doesn’t float, but not for one with humps and dips.

Excellent point!!! Using my 7' rear blade with it swung to the side and angled as much as I can (which is necessary to get the snow to slide off the blade) the back end of the tractor gets pushed over, even with chains on. Not great chains though since most of the cross links fall between the treads. So if I use the loader in float mode, I will unload the front tires and loose traction. Maybe this is not going to happen tomorrow as planned.

Keep it coming though, while I do some reading on the chain setup.

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #16  
Do NOT use the loader float function in plowing. Lower the blade until the skid shoes are riding on the drive and adjust your cut by curling the blade. It is great plow.
That's the same way I use mine.
I just set it down till the skid shoe touch and go.
Floating the FEL never works for me, tried it can't steer.
I'm running a 9' Western truck plow on the loader of my DK 35. (SSQA with hydraulic angle) Chains on all 4 tires.

I found a couple of older threads that discussed the chain vs hydraulic float and it was apparent that the chain float was a hands down winner. This quote from Ford850 clearly stated what I needed to know "After using my Big Ox low for years now, there is no way I would use one without a blade float (not FEL float) and blade trip functions. Mine also floats/tilts left to right for contours which is helpful. But if I try to float my FEL it puts a great deal of stress on the arms, and the tractor steering. If I lift the FEL slightly and only let the blade float it plows effortlessly."

There were a few others after this that reaffirmed this. I also noted that there was only manufacturer of the chain float system. I think it was Meyers. Maybe I will just finish off this season the way I've been doing it for years. That will give me time to find something used that I can adapt.

I'm pretty sure you guys saved me from making a mistake. Thank you all very much.

If I do end up manufacturing or altering something I will be sure to post pics and report on the performance.

That's the same way I use mine.
I just set it down till the skid shoe touch and go.
Floating the FEL never works for me, tried it can't steer.
I'm running a 9' Western truck plow on the loader of my DK 35. (SSQA with hydraulic angle) Chains on all 4 tires.

Thanks for posting this. I was still concerned about using an 8' blade but if your using a 9' one then I should be fine with the 8. Do you find the tractor gets pushed around with such a wide blade when it is angled?

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #19  
Like Ford850 said get a blade that floats on the SSQA plate and also has lateral oscillation. You just set the height of the loader arm and let the blade float on its own. The lateral oscillation helps with leveling the blade when you angle it besides allowing it to follow the contour of the driveway better.

You can see how the blade can move both up and down and rotate on the SSQA plate:

p6B6cAe.jpg

kJaz5g8.jpg

I had a rubber edge on in this photo since the gravel wasn't frozen over yet and it folds over as you go forward and doesn't dig into the gravel.

stlwRnX.jpg

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #20  
We all intuitively know that weather and snow conditions vary by location and time of year. That combined with local conditions like road surface dictate what works best where. With that said their are no absolutes. Float the loader here, don’t float it there, chain type somewhere else. “We,” as the TBN community, are pretty good at problem solving and figuring out what’s best for the situation.