Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #1  

Hilbilly

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L6060HSTCC
I am about to pull the trigger on a loader mounted snow plow but have some concerns so I'm looking for anyone that has personal experience with; 1) loader mounted snow plows and 2) a long rough gravel driveway.

My driveway is a mile long and all gravel with some spots where there are large nuggets protruding up. I've been using a rear blade and rear blower for the last 9 years and getting tired of trying to blow snow that has been packed down by continuously driving over it before the rear blade does its job. My tractor is a Massey 1547 with a 1530 ( I think) loader. The loader currently has a 72" bucket on it but I want to put a 96" snow plow on it with hydraulics to swing it. The loader I'm looking at is an HLA 2000 and it has a crossover relief valve on it and trip springs, which I hope will protect the loader from damage if I hit some of those nuggets or frozen snow along the edge of the driveway when trying to push the snow as wide as possible. I have the tires mounted to their max width or close to it. They are 72" outside to outside and the plow 96" plow would have a plowing width of 79" when fully tilted.

A third related question is; have any of the members damaged their loaders by using a loader mounted plow?

Edit; forgot to mention that the plow will not be mounted the bucket and will have its own SSQA mount.

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #2  
I put my plow on mounted to the bucket. It was hinged and had chains/springs to the bucket hook. That absorbed the shock.

When I was concerned about hitting something, I just angled the blade (top forward) and it slid over frozen rocks that were poking up a bit.

I got tired of not having my bucket available, so I stopped using the plow and just use the bucket now.

Sounds like you have a nice setup planned there. Unless you are hitting frozen boulders- I wouldn't worry about bending your FEL.

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #3  
I have been running an 8' Curtis converted truck plow for ten years with no problems.Trip springs and added a cross-over relief(a must).I plow about 2 miles of woods road and drive-ways all gravel.My plow floats on a chain,like a truck plow.

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #4  
I have been running an 8' Curtis converted truck plow for ten years with no problems.Trip springs and added a cross-over relief(a must).I plow about 2 miles of woods road and drive-ways all gravel.My plow floats on a chain,like a truck plow.

X2 Truck plow, crossover relief, trip springs

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow
nybirdman, looks like your tractor is about the same size as mine. That gives me more comfort about getting the 8' blade. Thanks.

This blade wouldn't have a chain to produce float, like the truck plows so I guess I would use the loader float setting to let the plow follow the road profile.

Edit: birdman, I forgot to ask, do you run the edge of your plow against the frozen snow bank to try to get the road as wide as possible? My concern is more of an issue after there have been some freeze / thaw cycles and the banks become ice or very hard snow.

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #6  
I had the HLA 2000 on a Kioti DK35 and now have the HLA 3000 on my LS.

Do NOT use the loader float function in plowing. Lower the blade until the skid shoes are riding on the drive and adjust your cut by curling the blade. It is great plow.

ED891E83-43CA-441E-9B0B-968D6AF55E08.jpeg

Edit. Lateral float is a feature of HLA blades, no chain needed.

Last edited:
   / Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #7  
I have a SSQA blade with hydraulic angle. I trip the springs on my blade regularly and have had no issues with damage and or wear to the FEL.

My blade didn’t come with a cross over relief valve but it has one now! I steered a 1” steel pin that held the cylinder- pin broke and cylinder was fine.

I have no idea what your tractor is or how much it weighs. It will be interesting to see if a blade that wide pushes it around. I tend to run mine with only enough angle to send the majority of the snow in the direction I want. If I max out the angle it can start to push the front end around. I run front v bar chains. I don’t run rear chains.

The guys that live in areas that stay frozen all winter tend to use the float on the FEL and just curl to adjust cut depth off the feet. Guys that live in areas that freeze thaw all winter have better luck using the chain type setup and no float feature. This keeps weight off the blade and prevents digging.

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #8  
I just switched from a rear mounted blower to a front mounted snow plow. Pardon the pun, but not looking back. I’m pushing a 7’ SSQA blade made by Quick Attach with hydraulic Angling with a NH TC45D tractor.
The driveway is a combination of agerate and black top. On the agerate I simply feather the cural cylinders downward a little more than on the blacktop portion and the blade rides over the irregular surface. In the event of an unknown obstruction the blade is spring trip protected.
B. John

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow
I have a SSQA blade with hydraulic angle. I trip the springs on my blade regularly and have had no issues with damage and or wear to the FEL.

My blade didn’t come with a cross over relief valve but it has one now! I steered a 1” steel pin that held the cylinder- pin broke and cylinder was fine.

I have no idea what your tractor is or how much it weighs. It will be interesting to see if a blade that wide pushes it around. I tend to run mine with only enough angle to send the majority of the snow in the direction I want. If I max out the angle it can start to push the front end around. I run front v bar chains. I don’t run rear chains.

The guys that live in areas that stay frozen all winter tend to use the float on the FEL and just curl to adjust cut depth off the feet. Guys that live in areas that freeze thaw all winter have better luck using the chain type setup and no float feature. This keeps weight off the blade and prevents digging.

My tractor weighs somewhere between 3400# and 4000# depending on what spec sheet you read.

Not sure that using the plow without the loader in float would work very well. My driveway is not smooth and there are little bumps and hollows everywhere. If I try to adjust the loader setting to get close to the surface It will be the wrong height most of the time. That is why I was planning to use the float mode. I do have problems with the loader in float mode while using the bucket as the leading edge will sometimes dig in and the loader will lift the front of the tractor up.

Is the digging in issue only when the ground is soft or does it also occur when there is a frozen base on the driveway. I sure don't want to spend all this money and find out I don't like the setup. Wish I knew someone with one of these so i could try it first.

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #10  
Just go slow until you build up your nice smooth snow pack.