Questions re: pipe on loader cutting edge

/ Questions re: pipe on loader cutting edge #1  

Teikas Dad

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
I've seen a number of posts where members are using steel and Sch80 plastic pipe on the cutting edge of their plowblade and loader to keep from digging up gravel driveways. From what I've learned that's the go to method to save the driveway from being torn up.

But, how does it work out if the entire driveway is not gravel and part of it is paved? My driveway is 350' long but only the 40 feet directly in front of the garage is paved. Will the pipe covered edge on the bucket still remove snow down to the pavement?

Is there a better way for combination paved/gravel driveways?

Thanks

/ Questions re: pipe on loader cutting edge #2  
In your case it is simply going to be "what do you want?
The pipe on the bucket edge is fine but you will not get bare pavement.

Short of buying a back blade and adding pneumatic caster wheels to control the cutting depth or a rear mount snow blower for the entire work load and changing the skid height every time you plow or blow snow your going to have to settle on one method or another.

Some of the members have plows that they mount in their loader buckets and do all the plowing with it.
Just keep in mind that if you do that you will have piles of snow and the wind will fill the driveway back up with snow if you
have a lot of wind driven snow.

A snow blower will get rid of it all in one pass and you have no build up on the side of the driveway.

A rear mount three point hitch snow blower of any brand is much less costly than a front mount.
A front mount kubota snow blower requires a mounting frame under the tractor and a reverser for
the mid point PTO which is supplied with the front mount snow blower.

/ Questions re: pipe on loader cutting edge #3  
I have the steel pipe on my bucket edge and snowblower cutting edge. It works fine on both the paved driveway and the grass areas. Any snow that does get left would probably get left no matter what you did.

/ Questions re: pipe on loader cutting edge #4  
I used to have a Woods rear blade. I cut a tire into a L shape, and sandwiched it between the plow and edge. That worked mint on the grass. It would leave a little snow on pavement. I suspect a pipe would be the same way.

/ Questions re: pipe on loader cutting edge #6  
I use a pipe on my rear blade to not disturb our gravel driveway, and it works fine on the concrete section up by the house.

I happen to think the FEL/bucket is sort of a last resort for clearing snow. Next cheapest option is a rear blade and works much much better.

/ Questions re: pipe on loader cutting edge #7  
My 2bits.
I have plowed with a truck, used my FEL, and have a rear blower.
Some truck blades used a mushroom style of skid or shoe that is OK on pavement but useless on gravel. (on gravel they dig in until the base freezes)
Most blowers have much too small a skid (or shoe) for gravel drives.

The EDGE TAMER is a very clever, well designed and decently priced device for most bucket plowing applications.
Now if he could design a similar device for blowers* we'd keep the crushed stones off of the grass.

LOL, if you want your pavement to show then you want a rotary broom.
Face it, winter=snow and an inch or so should be no problem, in fact you really want a hard packed base, besides that base will fill in all the dips and lows.

LOL, our winter city maintained (mostly pot holes holding hands) is much nicer in the winter to drive on.

*I added wider and longer 'soles' on my blower and have no stones to rake come summer. Also very rarely sheer any bolts now. OK, so I leave 1" of snow but nothing the snow tires can't handle.

/ Questions re: pipe on loader cutting edge #8  
I have a 2" pipe cut to fit over the 8' Fisher plow blade on my truck. It has a couple straps and bolts to hold it to the blade, I can take it on/off in about 2 minutes. To answer the OP, if the weight of the plow is sufficient, the pipe-edge will still scrape pavement pretty clean.

Also, regarding PVC, when I first had this idea I made a proof-of-concept model out of sch40 PVC. It proved the concept would work, but only lasted minutes before shattering, lol. Not a long term solution in my experience.

/ Questions re: pipe on loader cutting edge #9  
I bolted on a 1x6 piece of poly to the bottom of my back blade. I removed the steel edge and put the polyurethane in its place. IMG_20180226_172521300.jpgIMG_20180226_172540299.jpg