Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #11  
We do need to get you an impeller kit for your current snow caster and larger jets for the carburator so you can clear the snow faster if the engine is a gas engine.

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #12  
I ran a Pronovost 64 on a John Deere 750 for years. 18 hp, gear transmission and NO live PTO. It took some planning to be able to stop without plugging the blower, but it was certainly doable.

I upgraded to a Kubota with a cab, live pto and hydro trans, running the same blower. Much nicer for sure.

I'd never go back to plowing.

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #13  
Hi,

We have a Chinese compact tractor, branded Siromer 304 in the UK but as far as I can see the same as Jinma 254 sold elsewhere. So let's say 25HP. Conventional transmission with three gears, and H/L and creeper. Not continuously variable hydrostatic. What do people think about using a rear mounted snowblower on something like this? I know the transmission isn't ideal, but it does at least give four reverse gears going from very slow indeed up to a jogging pace.

The UK distributor lists a 1.6m blower, supposedly suitable for 20-40HP, and there are a couple of other makes around as well. Price is kind of similar to a decent walk behind blower, or actually significantly less than we paid for our 28" hydrostatic walk behind. The application would mainly be to clear the track to our house, which is around 1/2 mile unmade road, and the goal to keep it clear enough for a four wheel drive car. I don't need to clear down to bare ground, and tidying round the house and yard can be done by hand or with the "little" blower.
Any thoughts?

Thanks, Tony S

Jinma 254 Should work well with a blower.

Also most chinese tractors are underrated on horsepower because they are sold using
the HP the engine maintains over a 12 hour run time period.

That is not the same as some tractors advertised Gross HP.

Here's a 284 jinma doing a great job with a rear mounted blower,

Jinma 284 - YouTube

I use a track drive blower for trails and walkways now -but many years ago did the same as you are doing (the main driveway ) with a walk behind. It did get old.

Good luck on your search for a tractor mounted blower, After this winter may be looking into getting a blower for my chinese tractor, It was used for several years with a rear mounted 84 inch model and I should have bought it with the tractor, regretting that decision now.

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #14  
Thanks, nice photos. Yes, it looks like a blower is what you need for that driveway. As I said it's perfectly doable with a gear tractor, you simply go slow. As much as you can, blow it when fresh.

Do you own the land either side of the driveway? Adding some snow fencing at the right distance (about 20-30' depending on height) could greatly reduce drifting of snow into your cleared driveway. You will still have to clear fallen snow, but only once.

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #15  
If your creeper gear works in reverse, You've got it made... My tractor, NAA, has under-over-direct and a Howard "creeper" gear... 24 forward and 6 reverse... AWESOME machine...

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #16  
My gear drive Mitsubishi is rated at 20 hp (less at the PTO) and I run a 60" rear blower here in snowy Quebec.
It is all about techniques that you soon learn.
4-6" events you take full bites, 12" and you make first pass with the blower raised about 4" and make 2nd pass for the bottom remainder.
Next only take a 1/2 or 1/3 or so pass.
Since I previously had a 48" similar blower I suggest that in the long run the wider is much better to have even with the inconveniences mentioned.
Another rule to maintain is that you want to be about 4-5" wider than your tires are.

And to add I have tackled as much as 16" events with wind blown drifts as well as the city plow making 3 ft compacted piles at my entrance.

Also my blower is not the better designs available.

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic
Thanks everyone, looks like this option is worth following up. At the moment we usually don't clear the whole route with the walk-behind, just cleared a pathway so we can easily walk to the public road, or to help bust through with the Land Rover. A path also makes it clear quicker in a thaw. If we could clear the whole width with the same or less effort that would be brilliant.

By the way walking along the drive this morning was an example of blower vs plough as the last 150 yards had been ploughed by a neighbour. When blowing we didn't find anything much deeper than the chute, say max of 30" and most significantly less. That deep cover has now shrunk down to may be 12 or 15" as it thaws. On the section that was ploughed several times the banks either side are four feet in some places.

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #18  
Thanks everyone, looks like this option is worth following up. At the moment we usually don't clear the whole route with the walk-behind, just cleared a pathway so we can easily walk to the public road, or to help bust through with the Land Rover. A path also makes it clear quicker in a thaw. If we could clear the whole width with the same or less effort that would be brilliant.

By the way walking along the drive this morning was an example of blower vs plough as the last 150 yards had been ploughed by a neighbour. When blowing we didn't find anything much deeper than the chute, say max of 30" and most significantly less. That deep cover has now shrunk down to may be 12 or 15" as it thaws. On the section that was ploughed several times the banks either side are four feet in some places.
I ran a 74" Farm King on a JD 4200, rated at 26 Hp gross.
Once I cleared a section in the backyard in late winter. Snow as deep as the blowers opening. Sure the tractor didn't ask for more.
The temperature is a big factor. If it's cold enough and the snow is light, it will go through with ease. But the snow will come back easily as well.
I used to carry a helmet and snowmobile suit.

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #19  
I use a 66" front mount on my CK 30 hp, it is powerful will blow snow over 100 feet.

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic
Thanks for all the comments. There's not a huge amount of choice in the UK, probably no chance whatsoever of seeing anything in the flesh before ordering. I suppose there's a tiny chance of something turning up second hand, but if buying new these are the two models that I'm considering.

Siromer 1.6m Siromer Compact Tractors - Snow Equipment
Siromer are the importers for my tractor, essentially a rebadged Jinma 254 but there may be some minor differences. Advantages (1) size seems about right, just wider than the tractor (2) some chance that the supplier may be able comment on suitability with my particular tractor. Big disadvantage - their demo video makes it look really weedy, hardly throwing snow at all. I don't know if the tractor's not running up to proper revs or what, but that demo video is a real turn off. Siromer Snow Blower - YouTube

Kellfri Reversing snowblower
Slightly more expensive, but not enough to be a deciding factor. Kellfri have a local dealer although as far as I can tell he only handles their ATV attachments. However it might mean somewhere local to talk to if there are issues, or parts needed. It's bigger and heavier. I don't think the extra clearing width is a particular advantage, as neither 5ft nor 6ft would completely clear the drive so a second pass would be needed in either case on the return trip. Only advantage of the extra size would be if we changed to a slightly bigger tractor in the future. Their demo video at least shows it actually throwing snow, although it's not exactly clearing deep drifts .. 37-SF180 Snöfräs backande - YouTube

Really I'd be happier to see my chosen model actually working on deep snow.

Any comments on either of the models I've mentioned?