Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic
Bit more progress - Siromer have confirmed they're happy my tractor would have enough power for their 1.6m, and have linked to a more impressive video which is of the same blower but in front mounted form. Looks more like it .. Snow blowing - YouTube

Kellfri, good and bad news. It turns out it can't be ordered through the local dealer, the nearest place is 2 1/2 hours away. Good news is that the proprietor uses one himself, so can give first hand experience.

So it looks like the decision is going to be whether I feel the benefits of the wider blower outweigh the disadvantages.

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #22  
Hi,

We have a Chinese compact tractor, branded Siromer 304 in the UK but as far as I can see the same as Jinma 254 sold elsewhere. So let's say 25HP. Conventional transmission with three gears, and H/L and creeper. Not continuously variable hydrostatic. What do people think about using a rear mounted snowblower on something like this? I know the transmission isn't ideal, but it does at least give four reverse gears going from very slow indeed up to a jogging pace.

The UK distributor lists a 1.6m blower, supposedly suitable for 20-40HP, and there are a couple of other makes around as well. Price is kind of similar to a decent walk behind blower, or actually significantly less than we paid for our 28" hydrostatic walk behind. The application would mainly be to clear the track to our house, which is around 1/2 mile unmade road, and the goal to keep it clear enough for a four wheel drive car. I don't need to clear down to bare ground, and tidying round the house and yard can be done by hand or with the "little" blower.
Any thoughts?

Thanks, Tony S

Rear 3 pt hitch mounted snow blowers have served millions, if you have live pto.

On many Chinese tractors live rear pto is optional.

With non live pto, when your blower is becoming blocked and you depress the clutch, the tractor stops moving but the blower also stops so ends up plugged.

Test your pto by seeing if it continues to rotate with strength when the clutch pedal is depressed. Sometimes there is enough internal friction to rotate the pto but as soon as it has a load it stops.

Remember, a rotating pto can easily rip off your arm so the best way to test it is by having an implement attached to it.

Make it your dealers job to fit the pto shaft and blower to your tractor. Many owners have destroyed the rear of their tractor with a too long pto shaft.

How many speeds does your pto have. Some have 2 or even 3. Make certain you are using the correct pto speed.

Creeper gears were invented for planting reasons. If you use creeper gears thinking it will give you a lower gear for pushing or pulling you will break the creeper.

Ask to see the hard to get parts for the blower you are considering. A gearbox for example. Many importers bring in the machinery but not the needed spares because they will have to wait years to sell the spares.

Dave M7040

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #23  
Rear 3 pt hitch mounted snow blowers have served millions, if you have live pto.

On many Chinese tractors live rear pto is optional.

With non live pto, when your blower is becoming blocked and you depress the clutch, the tractor stops moving but the blower also stops so ends up plugged.

Dave M7040

You can always put the transmission in neutral to clear the blower if the tractor does not have a "live pto" .
I've been blowing snow with the Fordson E27n for more than 30 years. No live PTO on that gal! ;-)

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #24  
You can always put the transmission in neutral to clear the blower if the tractor does not have a "live pto" .
I've been blowing snow with the Fordson E27n for more than 30 years. No live PTO on that gal! ;-)

Those times where when men were men!!

If you don't have live pto, then better a front mounted blower driven from engine front pulley.

Dave M7040

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #25  
In looking over your photos of the snow filled lanes, a different idea came to mind.

Read this thread. I suggested snow fencing , properly installed, to greatly lessen the amount of snow the owner of a B5100 was dealing with.

Snow Fence - OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

I am Dave_eng on the orange forum.

In your lane, the old grass and fence posts are acting like improperly installed snow fences and causing the snow to drop in the lane rather than outside it.

Move the fencing far back from the lane and keep the weeds and grass mowed in late fall. Add real snow fencing properly installed.

https://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-science/objects/issw-1992-318-322.pdf

Dave M7040

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic
Thanks everyone. The tractor has two stage clutch, first depression of the pedal releases drive to the wheels but leaves the PTO still driven. Full pedal travel releases PTO as well. Not sure if that's what you'd call "live". PTO has choice of 540 or 1000 rpm (at full rated engine speed).

Interesting point about the creeper gears, I'll need to check that out to see if my particular tractor has that weakness.

Unfortunately I don't own or have any control over the land either side of track. I think the North access (fenced) would still fill in any case, since the track is lower than the fields to the West.

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #27  
So here is what I am asking for help with. We live in Upstate NY on the corner of Mass and VT and have some elevation. We average 80-100" of snow some years and have a gravel driveway 800+/- feet long. For 25 years I have plowed with trucks or tractors with front blades and or back blades. I would like to sell my 2001 Tundra plow truck but cannot put a front mounted snowblower on my JD790 and cannot imagine driving backwards with a rear 3PT snowblower. So I am considering a small Kubota B1700 or similar with a front mount snowblower which also has a 3 pt hitch I could put a 4 FT scraper blade on as well. Using the plow truck and the scraper blade alone always leave a mess in the Spring but can you share your experiences with front mount snow blower on a small 4WD tractor? I work from home so dont have to worry about getting out in a hurry in the am
Thanks in advance

Jack

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #28  
I disliked driving in reverse while back-blading ... I bought a rear-mount snowblower... I clear my drive and around the farm in 1/4 the time or less.... Makes me sooo happy... I don't worry about driving in reverse... Don't have time to get cold... I can blow going in all directions without having to worry about where to pile the snow... Just blow it outta here.... DONE !!!! time for coffee.... My new blower and modifications... Dave

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/snow-removal/391347-braber-72-snow-blower-modifications.html

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #29  
So here is what I am asking for help with. We live in Upstate NY on the corner of Mass and VT and have some elevation. We average 80-100" of snow some years and have a gravel driveway 800+/- feet long. For 25 years I have plowed with trucks or tractors with front blades and or back blades. I would like to sell my 2001 Tundra plow truck but cannot put a front mounted snowblower on my JD790 and cannot imagine driving backwards with a rear 3PT snowblower. So I am considering a small Kubota B1700 or similar with a front mount snowblower which also has a 3 pt hitch I could put a 4 FT scraper blade on as well. Using the plow truck and the scraper blade alone always leave a mess in the Spring but can you share your experiences with front mount snow blower on a small 4WD tractor? I work from home so dont have to worry about getting out in a hurry in the am
Thanks in advance

Jack

Don't overlook the inverted rear mounted blower. You pull it behind you so most of the time you are looking forward.

This is a bigger one than you need but they come in many sizes

1T5cons.jpg

Many of the front mounted blowers for tractors like Kubota and John Deere are made by Radco in Quebec Canada.

They are a glorified walk behind blower and many have completely frustrated the owner who need the blower to work hard.

If you see a gear box between the two auger halves, then you are not buying a tough blower.

This front mounted one by Smyth Welding is built like a conventional rear blower so its gearbox and frame are very strong.

GoQ92EX.jpg

ACBXxss.jpg

This photo shows a factory improvement made to Radco blowers. Previously the sheat bolt went through the fan shaft. Now it is part of a flange assembly.

Dg54GCe.jpg

Early version shear bolt.

TJcNwkJ.jpg

An example of the failure of a gearbox between the two auger halves.
XKn4FPd.jpg

Dave M7040

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #30  
Thanks for the info I may just keep my plow truck or try and find the inverted pull type blower

Thanks again

Jack