Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #1  

aesmith

Silver Member
Tractor
Siromer 304 (Y385T)
Hi,

We have a Chinese compact tractor, branded Siromer 304 in the UK but as far as I can see the same as Jinma 254 sold elsewhere. So let's say 25HP. Conventional transmission with three gears, and H/L and creeper. Not continuously variable hydrostatic. What do people think about using a rear mounted snowblower on something like this? I know the transmission isn't ideal, but it does at least give four reverse gears going from very slow indeed up to a jogging pace.

The UK distributor lists a 1.6m blower, supposedly suitable for 20-40HP, and there are a couple of other makes around as well. Price is kind of similar to a decent walk behind blower, or actually significantly less than we paid for our 28" hydrostatic walk behind. The application would mainly be to clear the track to our house, which is around 1/2 mile unmade road, and the goal to keep it clear enough for a four wheel drive car. I don't need to clear down to bare ground, and tidying round the house and yard can be done by hand or with the "little" blower.
Any thoughts?

Thanks, Tony S

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #2  
I'm using a rear-mounted blower on an 8x8 gear tractor. You just go fairly slow, and if your lowest gear still results in too fast at travel speed, you push in the clutch, let the blower empty itself, then start again. Not ideal but perfectly functional.

How much snow do you get per snowfall, and how many snowfalls per season? Will you ever need to clear snow that's been sitting for a week or more with melt and re-freeze cycles? Re-frozen snow is much harder to blow than fresh snow.

For a 1/2 mile driveway, and not concerned about getting it 100% clean, I think an angled blade might be a faster and overall better option. Front mounted if possible, rear if not. It depends on how much snow you get though.

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #3  
Hi,

We have a Chinese compact tractor, branded Siromer 304 in the UK but as far as I can see the same as Jinma 254 sold elsewhere. So let's say 25HP. Conventional transmission with three gears, and H/L and creeper. Not continuously variable hydrostatic. What do people think about using a rear mounted snowblower on something like this? I know the transmission isn't ideal, but it does at least give four reverse gears going from very slow indeed up to a jogging pace.

The UK distributor lists a 1.6m blower, supposedly suitable for 20-40HP, and there are a couple of other makes around as well. Price is kind of similar to a decent walk behind blower, or actually significantly less than we paid for our 28" hydrostatic walk behind. The application would mainly be to clear the track to our house, which is around 1/2 mile unmade road, and the goal to keep it clear enough for a four wheel drive car. I don't need to clear down to bare ground, and tidying round the house and yard can be done by hand or with the "little" blower.
Any thoughts?

Thanks, Tony S

============================================================================

You need to ask the dealer if he can get you the smallest Berta brand rear mount three point hitch snow blower for your mule.

The thumbnail image I have uploaded is of the largest of these three Berta snow casters and the smallest one will work well for you.

If you can buy the Berta rear mount you will not have problems with your type of snow.

The other option is a Lorenz or Pronovost rear mount snow caster so you have no problems.

Attachments

• Bertasnowcasterspazzaneve_80hp.jpg
    Bertasnowcasterspazzaneve_80hp.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
   / Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic
Hi, thanks. We actually have two alternative routes each of 1/2 mile but we don't necessarily need both cleared. Heading North the drive runs between banks so there's not really any where to push snow. I've cleared that sort of track with a digger (backhoe loader) before and it's a real pain grabbing a bucketful then having to reverse back to somewhere it can be dumped. Here it's a slope so I couldn't do it with our two wheel drive digger anyway. I think based on the walk behind I'm kind of set on a blower as the correct answer, but need more oomph to get the job done in a reasonable time. Picture from a few years ago, snow gurus will immediately spot that the snow's been lying for around a week in both these pictures. It was only left that long because it takes all day to clear with my current equipment. If it was quicker I'd be able to clear each evening if necessary.
40653298111_169e929853_c.jpg

To the South it's more open but still drifts if not as bad. Uphill for the first part. This route can be ploughed but you couldn't run fast enough to throw it clear so it would build a steep bank each side and therefore fill in deeper each time. You can see an angled blade wouldn't work, it would need to be a V.
39757795335_fc687cd0b8_c.jpg

The other question is how often, and that's not easy. Last couple of years the track didn't get blocked at all, or happened late on in the spring so it thawed pretty quick.

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #5  
The rear blower would be a perfect companion for this machine! Size it for your HP- typically about the width of your machine and let it rip!
Now the blower vs plow debate is a whole other topic!

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #6  
I'm using a rear-mounted blower on an 8x8 gear tractor. You just go fairly slow, and if your lowest gear still results in too fast at travel speed, you push in the clutch, let the blower empty itself, then start again. Not ideal but perfectly functional.

Just on the first pass. After that you can control how much snow goes in, while going at a set speed, by not taking a full width bite of snow.

I snow blowed with a 3 speed Cub Cadet 582 garden tractor with a crappy single stage blower for years. And that didn't have a creeper gear. It always got the job done .....eventually.

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #7  
My first tractor was a 1982 Ford 1710 4WD(25 pto hp). It was geared. I mounted a 60" blower on the back and it worked great - slow, but great. I have a mile long, straight as an arrow, gravel driveway. The little Ford in its lowest gearing would go about 0.6 mph in reverse - throwing snow like a banshee. Normally, I would use the rear blade to clear the driveway but some winters with heavier snow fall - the frozen berms would build up. Rear blade & tractor were not heavy enough to cut and move them - that's where the 3-point blower came into play. Never lacked sufficient power to blow that hard, frozen snow at least 40 to 50 feet.

Two things that I didn't like about blowing snow - no matter what direction the discharge chute was pointed - powder snow always drifted back on me. It took 3 to 4 hours of continuous blowing to clear the yard, driveway and mailbox area. By that time, my neck and shoulders were sore and would take two to three days to recuperate. I tried operating in every position - except standing on my head - to alleviate the neck & shoulder pain. Nothing proved to be better than anything else.
Tylenol & Jack Daniels would ease the pain when I was finished for the day.

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #8  
Hi, thanks. We actually have two alternative routes each of 1/2 mile but we don't necessarily need both cleared. Heading North the drive runs between banks so there's not really any where to push snow. I've cleared that sort of track with a digger (backhoe loader) before and it's a real pain grabbing a bucketful then having to reverse back to somewhere it can be dumped. Here it's a slope so I couldn't do it with our two wheel drive digger anyway. I think based on the walk behind I'm kind of set on a blower as the correct answer, but need more oomph to get the job done in a reasonable time. Picture from a few years ago, snow gurus will immediately spot that the snow's been lying for around a week in both these pictures. It was only left that long because it takes all day to clear with my current equipment. If it was quicker I'd be able to clear each evening if necessary.
40653298111_169e929853_c.jpg

To the South it's more open but still drifts if not as bad. Uphill for the first part. This route can be ploughed but you couldn't run fast enough to throw it clear so it would build a steep bank each side and therefore fill in deeper each time. You can see an angled blade wouldn't work, it would need to be a V.
39757795335_fc687cd0b8_c.jpg

The other question is how often, and that's not easy. Last couple of years the track didn't get blocked at all, or happened late on in the spring so it thawed pretty quick.

Short of calling Zaugg in Austria to find a used track drive bulldog 2 stage unit the only other advice I would give you is to invest in a new Yamaha 1332 track drive walk behind and purchase an inflatable snow cab from an Ariens dealer to have a dry work space while you work.

Machinio had a used Zaugg bulldog with low hours for sale a while back but it is no longer listed.

Another option would be a used track drive diesel Yanmar 2 stage machine. I know that there are more than a handful of the Japanese track drive units on the continent but the issue is finding one soon.

Last edited:
   / Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #9  
There was a gas powered steel track drive Zaugg 2 stage unit for sale in Colorado a few weeks ago but that is of little help to you now.

/ Snowblower on 25HP non-hydrostatic #10  
AH - HA. Pictures - great country - pretty deep snow. Your 1.6M(63") blower would do wonders on that driveway with the fence on each side. Should easily blow the snow up, over and beyond the fence. Same on the unfenced driveway. I don't know if a REAR BLADE and your tractor would be heavy enough to clear snow on the unfenced driveway. If its not - then the rear end of you tractor is simply pushed toward the center of the road as you move forward. Very quickly becomes a real PITA.

No question - your 25 hp tractor and the 1.6M blower will handle the snow you have pictured. Man - that must be a long, lonesome project - clearing those driveways with that little walk behind blower.