Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snowblowing Engine Speed

/ Snowblowing Engine Speed #12  
Well, technically more rpm's is more power, but probably not more torque, and perhaps LESS torque for a diesel.
But I wouldn't over-rev it past the rated 540 rpm (PTO).
[Unless for some reason you must throw the snow FARTHER (as opposed to traveling FASTER).]
Control power demand of blower by controlling tractor ground speed / snow feed rate.

For these N'easter wet heavy spring snows, lubing up the blower auger and chute really makes a big difference on how easily snow slides through it and reduces plugging and build up on the auger. Sometimes snow builds up so much on an auger it no longer "augers" to feed the fan.
Some people recommend lubricants that stick and are water resistant. Many use Pam (TM) cooking spray cause it sticks, I use a silicone spray cause it sticks, coats and is water resistant, but also use any lubricating spray I have handy.

Open station tractor eh? Got snow goggles?

To paraphrase Jim Croce:
"You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't snowblow into the wind
You don't pull the mask of that old Lone Ranger
and you don't mess around with....." ....sticking your hands anywhere near a snowblower. (Even if its turned off when plugged.)
-Ok, Jim Croce never said that....

Blowing snow is like spreading manure, keep the tractor on the upwind side .

/ Snowblowing Engine Speed
Thanks for the responses. We struck out on the snow last night. Instead of 8" we got 1/2". I think we are done for the winter, so I'll touch up the paint, change the oil and be ready for next winter! Was really looking forward to using it for the first time!

/ Snowblowing Engine Speed #14  
I wonder how much fuel consumption rises with RPM between 2200 and 2600 RPM, for example? I don't know that even for my own Kubota.

However I run an old snowcat powered by Mercedes OM617A (5 cyl, 3 liter, 120HP). It is a hydrostatic cat. From 2800 to 3500 RPM the fuel consumption climbs noticeably, and again from 3500 to 4000 (redline) there is a noticeable increase. To give you an idea the consumption is around 2 gal per hour at 2800-3000 but seems close to 3 gal per hour at 3800. Those numbers admittedly are not exact, but I know for sure it goes up quite a bit.

/ Snowblowing Engine Speed #15  
It is a 3 point device all of which are designed to run at 500 PTO rpm's. (generally speaking, some are designed for 1000 rpms but rather rare)

/ Snowblowing Engine Speed
Yes, it is designed to run at 540 PTO RPM's. Given that the speed of the fan controls the throw distance and amount of snow removed per minute, I figured that more speed could be useful in certain situations if I needed more throw distance. Pronovost sells a PTO speed accelerator device which ups the RPM to 756 so I am not concerned about hurting the blower.

PUMA-64 - Pronovost

/ Snowblowing Engine Speed #17  
I have the same blower. Most of the time it gets run at 540, but I sometimes run it faster - depending on the consistency of the snow. It'll toss the snow around 25' or a bit farther. With around 12 or so inches of the fairly heavy snow we had Wednesday, there was no problem getting it well off the far side of parking areas that were about 20' wide. Here's a short clip doing a neighbor's driveway a couple years ago:

Shared album - Jim Miller - Google Photos

When I did the parking lots at the church on Wednesday, I made 5 or 6 passes down the length on one side with the blower to throw the snow off the left side of the lot. That gave me plenty of cleaned area to maneuver the tractor and line it up to push the rest off the right side of the lot.

I added chute controls to the blower and side wings to the loader bucket. I wouldn't want to be without the wings when doing a big area. Next best thing to a box-type pusher.

Attachments

• Blower Chute Control.jpg
    Blower Chute Control.jpg
    761.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0640.JPG
    IMG_0640.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 104
  • Box Bucket.jpg
    Box Bucket.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 120
   / Snowblowing Engine Speed #18  
Blowing snow is like spreading manure, keep the tractor on the upwind side .

Nah, doesn't matter. Blowing snow falls under the same category as sitting by a campfire.

Campfire- no matter where you sit, the smoke blows in your face.
Blowing snow- no matter which direction you point the chute, it's into the wind and will blow back in your face.

:laughing:

/ Snowblowing Engine Speed #19  
I wonder how much fuel consumption rises with RPM between 2200 and 2600 RPM, for example? I don't know that even for my own Kubota.

However I run an old snowcat powered by Mercedes OM617A (5 cyl, 3 liter, 120HP). It is a hydrostatic cat. From 2800 to 3500 RPM the fuel consumption climbs noticeably, and again from 3500 to 4000 (redline) there is a noticeable increase. To give you an idea the consumption is around 2 gal per hour at 2800-3000 but seems close to 3 gal per hour at 3800. Those numbers admittedly are not exact, but I know for sure it goes up quite a bit.
Who cares if it burns an extra $10 of fuel during the snowblowing season by running the throttle wide open?

/ Snowblowing Engine Speed #20  
Who cares if it burns an extra $10 of fuel during the snowblowing season by running the throttle wide open?

I run mine at whatever speed works, depending on the snow. Most seasons, with freshly fallen snow, I run at 2000 RPM or even a bit less and it all seems to work (I get 540 on the PTO at 2510 on the tach). The drier, fluffier stuff goes where I want it at even 1800 RPM and that is all that is required. My blower will even make "snow-cone snow" go 10' at 2500 or so, so I never push it beyond that, just drop it into low and 4x4 (HTS) and take it easy.

I have found that I use a lot more fuel at 2500 than I do at 1800 - a LOT more. Not that the slightly higher expense will kill me, but I don't need to be fueling again during nasty weather. When I don't need the higher RPM to handle slushy snow, I don't use it - the blower likes it and the tractor likes it and I like it. I've never had my blower chute clog. I'm not sure that the blower will really do that much more if I tried to push it beyond 540 but, if I thought it needed it for a nasty patch, I would give it a try.

flipped blowing snow pic.jpg