Box Blade of any use?

/ Box Blade of any use? #1  

avc8130

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L45
I usually keep my box blade on the rear of my machine all winter as it is the heaviest implement I own and provides good ballast when I use my 8' snow plow and pallet forks to move firewood.

This past storm I realized maybe it could be used for snow removal? I have a few areas I'd love to be able to drag snow away and the box blade would be quicker than back dragging with the plow.

However, when I drop the back blade I don't get the results I need. For the first few feet of travel it has to work it's way down. Then it scrapes nicely for a few feet until it fills with snow and then it just starts riding over the top of the snow.

I realize this is EXACTLY what it is designed to do with dirt...but is there any way to adjust it so it might work better for snow?

ac

/ Box Blade of any use? #2  
...but is there any way to adjust it so it might work better for snow?

ac

Yes, remove it and install an 8 foot back blade in its place!

/ Box Blade of any use? #3  
I usually keep my box blade on the rear of my machine all winter as it is the heaviest implement I own and provides good ballast when I use my 8' snow plow and pallet forks to move firewood.

This past storm I realized maybe it could be used for snow removal? I have a few areas I'd love to be able to drag snow away and the box blade would be quicker than back dragging with the plow.

However, when I drop the back blade I don't get the results I need. For the first few feet of travel it has to work it's way down. Then it scrapes nicely for a few feet until it fills with snow and then it just starts riding over the top of the snow.

I realize this is EXACTLY what it is designed to do with dirt...but is there any way to adjust it so it might work better for snow?

ac

A box blade with the rear cutting edge "hinged" would be somewhat more aggressive in the situation you describe. Ken Sweet

/ Box Blade of any use? #4  
I use my rear grader blade with my front eight foot snow plow;box blade sits until spring.

/ Box Blade of any use?
A box blade with the rear cutting edge "hinged" would be somewhat more aggressive in the situation you describe. Ken Sweet

Ken,

I think mine is like that. I have a Gill SR25.

ac

/ Box Blade of any use? #7  
I use my box blade as you describe when I have a snow plow on my tractor, It works great. Do you have it angled correctly? The more you shorten the top link, the more it will dig in. Mine scrapes the concrete drive almost clean and the only problem is when it fills up. Then I have to back over the pile and push it with the blade.

/ Box Blade of any use? #8  
Adjust like you would for dirt, by changing the top link length. But it’s really not an effective implement for snow removal.

/ Box Blade of any use? #9  
I use my BB in the snow- with a blade on the FEL. It works for me to pull away from the house and a few little touch up areas. I have hydraulic top and tilt which helps set the aggressiveness of the cut.
When cutting or moving any material with a box remember when it’s full it’s going to overflow the material. Snow would be no different- when the box is full it’s not going to continue to take snow- it’s going to spill out the top or bottom or both. It sounds like the way it’s set it’s spilling out the bottom.

I also like to drop the rippers when I have an icy spot I want to break up.

Lastly I will extend the top link fully and skim the snow when the ground isn’t frozen- either very early or late in the season when my front blade would just dig in. I live in an area that stays frozen all winter- roads are white too.

/ Box Blade of any use? #10  
I just used mine to cut off the snow pack and ice on my driveway because it turned into a skating rink. Worked awesome. And it was good for light to moderate snowfall. But in deep stuff I can see it filling up quick. Just had to adjust the angle for the amount of cut I needed.
Was the first time I ever tried it on snow.