Snow Attachments Chains

/ Chains
thanks to all the comments and the consenous is ice chains, which i was leaning towards. they seem to display constant gripping as opposed to a grip-slip with the link snow chains.

aren't toys fun to play with?

/ Chains #23  
Did you make the deal on the tractor yet ?:)

/ Chains #24  
I made a mistake to save a couple of hundred dollars and ended up with grip-slip jerkiness and really rough ride down the lane...go with the ice chains and continuous chain contact with the ground; it is definitely worth it.

/ Chains
the dealer says no to front chains because kubota says no, rear chains only, yet i see pictures on here with kubotas and front chains. anybody had any problems with front chains on their kubota or is my dealer being very conservative?

/ Chains #26  
No problems with front chains on mine, although it's only been a season, but I'm not concerned at all.

Since the font tires are always turning slightly faster than the rear tires when in 4wd, there can be additional strain placed on the drivetrain if you are in perfect grip conditions with no slippage of the chain (either on the ground, or actual tire slippage within the chain, as the chain is supposed to slowly rotate around the tire with use).
I can't really think of an example of "perfect" grip, but perhaps would could come close to it, is extreme ice conditions where the grip is absolutely rigid with no slippage, and you could put additional strain on the fronts by them turning faster than the rears.
In theory this is certainly a concern. However, in practice, I believe that (properly installed and used) front chains are never going to have that 'perfect' traction scenario. On ice for instance, if the ice is "that" hard, then the studded chains will still slip and gauge the ice rather than prevent any slippage whatsoever.

Regarding installation, the chains should never be extremely tight on your tire, there should always be some 'give' and 'slackness' to the chains. For example, a good rule of thumb is if you can not put a fist between the sidewall of the tire and the chain going around it, then it's too tight. As a tire rotates the chain of course rotates with it, and as the chain grips, the tire slips slightly inside the chain, this goes for both front and rear. So, when the front chains grab, the tire still rotates slightly within the chain.

In addition to proper installation, I believe that the understanding of how the 4wd works, how the chains assist in traction, rotate around the tires, and have the ability to place additional strain on the drivechain, will help alleviate any dangers of going against manufacturers recommendations. The very fact that you understand how it happens, is what will help prevent the possibility of damage. When I am in excellent traction situations, I have my tractor in 2wd. In fact the majority of the time, my tractor is in 4wd unless I start losing traction, or can't maintain a straight line because the front of the tractor is sliding sideways (such as a heavy load on an angled blade applying sideways forces.)

I wouldn't decide against front chains based on a dealers recommendation, but if you truly think or worry about damage to the drivetrain then by all means don't fit the front chains.

/ Chains
not yet. wondering what accessories i want but don't need. got to make sure i have one of everything. now i have to figure out what that everything is.

/ Chains
the dealer basically said the same as you. if in 4wd and neither front or rear tire slipped then you might do damage to the drive train. i would believe that that happening would be about as good as winning the lottery, even if you do play it. as long as the tractor is under warranty best to play by the kubota rules and don't do it. dealer said if kubota knows you used front chains, tough. no warranty coverage.

/ Chains #29  
To my thinking, if you feel you need chains on the front wheels too, your tractor is too small for the job you want it to do and should be using a bigger tractor. :confused3:

/ Chains #30  
To my thinking, if you feel you need chains on the front wheels too, your tractor is too small for the job you want it to do and should be using a bigger tractor. :confused3:

Light tractors with front blades at an angle will benefit form front chains even if only in 2wd or 2wd tractors it will keep the front end in place and require less steering brake.
In deep snow chains all the way around will allow a tractor to keep right on walking through when only on the rear they will at times get to crow hopping.