Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 855 MFWD; Oliver 1850 Gas

Default Snow Chains?

How effective are snow chains on a CUT? I had really poor traction last year on my wind blown icy driveway (road) while plowing, and I am wondering if snow chains are worth adding to my turf tires to help for this coming winter?

Dave

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

Default Re: Snow Chains?

Dave
    There are all types of chains. There are some specific to snow, and then others more specific to ice. And some in between.
    One of many sites:
    http://www.tirechain.com/TractorChainmenu.htm
    Mine are more like truck chains with hardened cross links that work well for me on ice, referred to as 'ladder' chains. They also will chew through snow, but are not like the deep snow chains that have cross links with circular steel rings in the center. Head for a chain site, and look at the variety of styles.

I have chains for my R-4's. Not sure if I would put them on turf tires as the ply's might be a bit light. Others will know better than I.

I have vbar four link ladder chains on turfs. Only problem is the exceptionally rough ride.

Egon

Gold Member

for ice and hard packed snow, it's hard to beat the v bars like egon uses. 2 bar would smooth the ride a bit, so would any kind of knit, or webbed design.

if your on pavement, even with chains, there will be times you get very poor traction. we refuse to plow any paved driveways because of that.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    TC24D

I have the basic ladder chains on my TC-24 with turfs and would not be without them! I put them on in November and take them off for mowing in the spring. With the loader on the front and the blower on the back, my machine is too heavy to even want to think about sliding into the house on an icy slope.

Brad

Tractor
    Kubota B2910, BX2200, Yardman 20HP pos...

My experience is that they are quite effective. On snow/ice and wet, slippery slopes as well.

This year is the first (due to all the rain) that I took the chains off my R4s in May, and put them back on in June! I have the ladder chains, and only about half of each cross chain does any good, as the other half drops between the lugs. Even then they help a lot.

I would guess that chains on turfs would work better than what I have does, and I would not be without mine in the winter.

Tractor
    Kubota B2410, BX2200

Get 'em!!!
    I have a CUT and a sub CUT both with turf. They make all the difference in the winter. In fact, I'm also going to run front chains on my CUT this winter, as there's alot more road to maintain where it's located.

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Yes, gettum! They work great on Turfs. A good way to buy a set of basic chains is to go to Tractor Supply Store with your tire size and get them to order Peerless truck tire chains in that size. These chains are not aggressive vbar type, they are the simpler chain link kind, so the ride is OK. They will clear your draft arms better than a real aggresive set. (On my JD 4100 things were very close, and I flipped the wheels inside out to get a bit more clearance, but still needed to get low profile chains to clear everything. These truck tire chains work great for me.)

Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX-22

I can strongly recommend St. Pierre Chain Company in Worcester MA. They are the best in quality and service as far as I am concerned. Have bought many chain sets from them in the past 30 years.... I have also recommended them to other TBN members that have purchased from them and are satisfied customers.

St. Pierre Chain web site.......

St. Pierre Chain & Wire Rope
    317 E. Mountain St.
    Worcester, MA 01606 USA
    Tel: 508-853-8010
    Fax: 508-853-3860
    Or call: 800-926-2342