Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Gage wheels on back blade for snow?

/ Gage wheels on back blade for snow? #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
Just wondering...almost think someone has used gage wheels on their back blade for snow...but can't remember... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I recently got a set of gage wheels for my KK 6' landscape rake and have been VERY satisified with their performance. Expensive for what you get but they do work well.

Anyway, for my use with a "soft-surface" driveway, I bet a set of gage wheels on my 6' KK back blade would be a great improvement and help keep me from digging in when the ground is soft in the beginning of winter.

So the question is...are any of you guys using gage wheels on the back of your back blade for snow plowing?

I'm about ready to adapt the gage wheels I got for my rake to the back blade for this winter...I think they should work, and seems like it would be a positive thing to do. Usually I have to run the blade backwards to keep it from digging in...

What do you think?

/ Gage wheels on back blade for snow? #2  
I've never tried it but it is an interesting idea. I wonder though if the wheels wouldn't become frozen as a result of water getting into the bushing or bearing. If the wheels couldn't turn they would just drag and may not work any better than a set of shoes attached to the blade.

Jeff

/ Gage wheels on back blade for snow? #3  
I have never heard of anyone using gauge wheels, but I have seen folks using skid shoes on a back blade. Much the same idea; if I buy a back blade to use on snow I would plan to get the skid shoes. Don't see why wheels would not accomplish the same mission.
Will

/ Gage wheels on back blade for snow? #4  
Even if the guage wheels freeze, won't turn and just drag. they will act exactly like skid shoes. The guage wheels, rotating or not are going to perform their intended task. All the guage wheels really do (and / or skid shoes )
is prevent the 3 point hitch from dropping any lower than what you have the wheels set for, there by preventing the implement from taking a bigger bite then you want.

/ Gage wheels on back blade for snow? #5  
Henro and Others,

The concept of using caster wheels on a snow blade is proven. I use them on my front V-Blade, but they would also work on the rear just as well. These are actually accessory wheels sold by Steiner to replace the standard skid shoes.

See attached photo and 3 more in subsequent replies.

I have used them through 4 snow seasons without difficulty. No problem with freezing up at all. I do store the tractor and blade in a non-heated garage and not out in the snow.

I really like the V-Blade for snow clearing. In addition to standard front pushing and side casting I find the "arms open" inverted V very useful. It makes gathering and final cleanup in corners and tight areas a breeze.

JackIL

Attachments

• 488726-VB4.JPG
    488726-VB4.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 598
   / Gage wheels on back blade for snow? #6  
Another View

Attachments

• 488727-VB3.JPG
    488727-VB3.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 502
   / Gage wheels on back blade for snow? #7  
Standard angling for casting to one side.

Attachments

• 488728-VB2.JPG
    488728-VB2.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 423
   / Gage wheels on back blade for snow? #8  
Standard V for opening pass.

Attachments

• 488730-VB1.JPG
    488730-VB1.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 455
   / Gage wheels on back blade for snow? #9  
I would think guage wheels on a conventional backblade would be pretty hard on the wheels overall. What with the slush and gravel and ice build up and leading with the wheels pushing snow into an accumulated drift of hard snow and ice.

Sometimes I pull the snow and sometimes I use the blade as intended pushing the snow with the concave side of the blade. I'm pretty sure guage wheels, at least like the ones on my backblade (Woods I think) would either get flat spots in them after they locked up, bent or come up missing until spring.

I bought some skid shoes at TSC pretty cheap and made angle iron brackets that bolt on to the convex side of my backblade. They have an appropriate size piece of gaspipe welded to them for the skid shoes to slide into and I use washers for spacers. The shoes dig in and make small trenches in the gravel until the ground is frozen, but you need to rearrange the gravel at the end of winter anyway.

/ Gage wheels on back blade for snow? #10  
I use gage wheels on back blade for grading dirt. With my B7100 moving snow with a back blade is not a really productive endevor.

Mine are pretty simple, cheap and look like it too but they do work.

Egon