Snow Attachments snow thrower

/ snow thrower #1  

JohnRichards

I have a Kubota 6200hst. I'm looking ofr a snow thrower, but I'm not sure which kind or how much they run. Any suggestions?

/ snow thrower #2  
I have a kubota b6100...1 less hp then you. according to my manuel it says i can only have a 42' snowblower. you can prob go a little big larger because your tractor is build heavier than mine. Dont really know how much they go think somewhere around 2 to 3 grand for a rear blower

/ snow thrower #3  
My very rough rule-of-thumb is 5hp per foot of width, i.e. a 5 foot snowblower requires 25 hp. My tractor is 24hp and it handles my 50" snow blower with ease - except when I get into hard packed drifts three feet or more in depth.

The type of snow and what you want to do with it are important factors. Wet snow is much harder to throw than dry snow. Two-stage snow blowers will usually throw snow further than single-stage snow blowers. If all you want is to dribble the snow a few feet off the edge of the driveway, a single-stage snow blower will do. If you really want to throw snow, you should have a discharge velocity of about 5000 feet/min. My snow blower has a 20" rotor and I run my tractor engine at 2000 rpm which gives me a PTO speed of 1000 rpm - this results in a discharge speed of just over 5000 feet/min. I can throw really dry snow about 100 feet but some wet snows will barely go 30 feet.

A critical factor in determining how well a snow blower works is the gap between the rotor and the housing - it should be no more than 0.020" anywhere from BDC to the point of discharge. This quality of fit is typical in better quality snow blowers but may be lacking in lower quality units. The tips of the rotors do wear so I rebuild the tips on the rotor every other year to make sure I have an appropriate gap( i.e. build it back to 0.020"). A quick way to check the gap between the rotor and the housing is to put a dime at the bottom of the housing. If the rotor blades pick up the dime and carry it to the point of discharge then there is a good fit. If the dime falls down between the rotor tip and the housing, the fit isn't very good.

Another factor that will greatly affect the cost is whether you want a front mount of 3ph mount unit. 3ph mounts are much cheaper but you are always trying to look behind you. There was a direction of rotation issue for the PTO on some of the older Kubotas - check to make sure the snow blower is suited for the direction of roation of you PTO.

Finaly, snow blowers throw snow and not all of it goes where you want it to. A considerable amount blows back toward the operator - hence a cab, especially a heated cab, is a big bonus. Without a cab you will look and feel like an iceman in no time. I know because I've been there. The attachment shows my setup ready for action. Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 527701-F2400-in-winter-dress-web.jpg
    527701-F2400-in-winter-dress-web.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 317
   / snow thrower #4  
I have a single stage tractor mounted snowblower and 2 stage walk behind. My single stage will blow the snow 30 to 50 feet in almost all snow conditions. My two stage does not perform as well. I agree with Howard's theory, my single stage has chute velocity of almost 5,000 fpm, while the 2 stage is around 3,000 which accounts for the major performance difference. I have also closed up the clearance on the center paddle on the single stage with a rubber strip to less than .020". Having the horsepower to maintain this chute velocity is also very important.

Duane

/ snow thrower
I'm actually trying to find a specific kind. I live in the Mid-Hudson Valley area in NY. The last few years we've gotten quite a bit of snow. This summer I picked up a Kubota 6200. I was hoping you guys could point me in the direction of a kind of snow thrower with a 3point hitch. I have a backhoe but that will ruin my new drive way.

/ snow thrower #6  
There are many available. I have a Blizzard B64, it's excellent. The smallest size I see on there site is a 54". Try this link, www.radinter.com RAD technologies makes my unit.

/ snow thrower #7  
John I have a 1990 B6200 Hst with a 48" rear mount blower. The tractor will nicely handle the 48" until you get into 12" deep hard pack. When the snow starts to get too deep I raise the blower and make multiple passes. I think the blower I have is listed as a b222 make by Makee for Kubota. I did have some problems with the blower but they were all related to the driveshaft angles being too extreme. The gap between the fan and shroud is more than .02" so I'm limited in the distance I can throw but have no problem with 20'.

/ snow thrower #8  
Curious Roy, what did you do with the extreme driveshaft angles? Mine seem extreme, but have not given my any problems yet.