Snow Attachments landscape wheels on blade for snow?

/ landscape wheels on blade for snow? #1  

BrettW

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar FF205D
Anyone ever try putting the wheel assembly off a landscape rake on a rear blade? Seems to me that it could hold the blade just off the driveway. I have a gravel drive and I'm looking for options. thansk, bw

/ landscape wheels on blade for snow? #2  
Seems to me that you'd open yourself up to bouncing - and maybe a surfing effect, as the wheels do their "up and over" thing. Ever think of trying your landscape rake on snow? If scraping with the tines alone leaves too much snow behind, consider blocking the tines from the front - to imitate a scraper blade.

//greg//

/ landscape wheels on blade for snow? #3  
Brett,

I have been using wheels on my Steiner V-Blade for several years and they work great. (See photo) These wheels are sold by Steiner as an accessory for all of their blades.

The wheels are behind the blade so they are always operating on a cleared and level surface. No problems whatsoever. Of course if you tried to pull back with the snow on the back side of the blade they probably would not work as well. However, I rarely need to pull the snow backwards and have not encountered a problem.

If you are fabricating your own, I would make sure that the caster has room enough to turn completely around.

JackIL

Attachments

• 528153-VB4.JPG
    528153-VB4.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 403
   / landscape wheels on blade for snow? #4  
I'm planning on using the wheels from my landscape rake on my back blade for snow removal...

Seems to me it would be a good thing. Don't think it can hurt. I also have a gravel driveway and parking area and seems like a lot of crushed stone ends up where I don't want it at the end of winter. I think the wheels may help, but it is just a guess at this point...

/ landscape wheels on blade for snow? #5  
Jack,
Do you ever have a problem with the wheels loading up with snow and freezing, turning them into skids? It sems like a larger wheel would be better, like a wheel barrow wheel, for travelling on top of the snow, even if it's behind the blade.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ landscape wheels on blade for snow? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have been using wheels on my Steiner V-Blade for several years )</font>
That's great Jack. But the question was about landscape rake wheels on a REAR blade

//greg//

/ landscape wheels on blade for snow? #7  
Greg

Wheels are wheels. I don't see any difference in using them on a blade that is pushed from the front or one that is pulled from the rear. As long as they are behind the blade they work fine.

JackIL

/ landscape wheels on blade for snow? #8  
Freds,

I have not experienced any problem with the wheels "loading up" with snow or ice. Since they are behind the blade, they always operate in a cleaned area. I think the wheel diameter was designed to be "small" in order to allow them to be positioned close to the blade edge. I don't see any big problem with using larger wheels ether.

The original question focused on using wheels on a blade. I simply responded to show that at least one manufacturer offers them as an accessory. My experience with the set-up is that it works well. My primary reason for using them is to avoid the scratch marks in asphalt paving that can occur with skid shoes.

JackIL

/ landscape wheels on blade for snow? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Greg - Wheels are wheels. )</font>
Only from the aspect that the best ones are usually round. In this case, yours is a pushing blade - wheels between the "tractor" and your V-blade blade. In the case of landscape wheels on a rear scraper blade (indexed, no V) the blade is between the tractor and the wheels.
Pushing - tractor>wheels>V-blade
Trailing - tractor>indexed blade>wheels
Different geometry.

//greg//