Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Clearing Snow

/ Clearing Snow #21  
We've only had a couple of 4 inch snowfalls here in Vt so far and I agree that I could have cleared them with the FEL and blade. That will end soon and not having to fight with the snowbanks the blade creates will save alot of time and headaches.
Last year, my neighbor had his rather long driveway plowed. At about this time (we had much more snow last year) he decides he wants to have a path cleared to one of his barns so he can park his Rover in it. Plow guy arrives in his Ford Super Duty and my neighbor asks him to open up the path. He takes one look at the banks he has created and the 2+ feet of snow down to the barn and tells him "no way- you need a 4wd tractor with a snowblower."
I get a phone call. An hour and a half later, there was a 4 lane highway down to that barn. He could have parked 3 dozen cars there!! Snowblowers are da bomb!!!

/ Clearing Snow #22  
Hi neighbor,

I bet you live in east Webster up by the Lake. You get some big drifts up there—I know ‘cause I used to live there myself. I’ve seen people around here with 4x4 tractors and rear blades really struggle in a big storm. I think you are right—the blower will have big gains with big storms.

Best of luck,

Buck

/ Clearing Snow #23  
I've never heard a lawyer admit he was wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

But your not wrong. We've had a winter which is putrid at best. You could say we haven't had one yet.

I don't have a blower and get by using the FEL but if your driveway is long then the blower is the tool of choice. Remember last January when it snowed almost daily for 3 weeks. I spent hours keeping the driveway open where with your blower it'd take no time.

The blade is a nice complement to the blower for little work though. Enjoy the mild winter. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Clearing Snow #24  
3000.00 and no snow?? HA. Got ya beat.

I put the back blade on the NEW Mahindra 3510 (considerably more than 3k /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and the only thing we have had in any amount is RAIN. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

This last shower dropped 1+ in of rain that could have been SNOW, da dirty double crosser /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I WANNA GO OUT AND PLAY!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Clearing Snow
Buck and Bob,

I know I'll use the blower.

When I wrote the post I was amazed at the job the rear blade did and how easy it is to clean up the couple inches that have been on the ground. I was also kicking myself a little because I'd read so many posts of people using a rear blade, FEL combination to deal with snow. But I knew better and had to have a mongo snow blower. . . Only to find out their way worked better (at least with the stuff we've had so far this year).

I know the big stuff is coming and I'll appreciate the blower then.

I still say that people contemplating a blower should try a rear blade first and see if the expense of a blower is justified given their situation.

John

/ Clearing Snow #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( We've had a wierd winter and haven't had more than three inches on the ground )</font>

Yes it has been a weird winter. I'm just 1-1/2 hours west of Buffalo (not sure where Webster is), on the lake, and I've never had my sump pump run this much. Every little bit of snow we get melts off in a few days.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, but part of the reason I got a bigger tractor and blade was to move snow more efficiently...
I guess this means it will be snowing in April /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Clearing Snow #27  
I wouldn't put that snowblower out for sale just yet. This year isn't typical of most.

We're having an unusually mild winter in the Tug Hill region as well this year, but I don't regret buying the snowblower one bit. So far I've only had to use it three times, but I'm convinced it was a wise purchase. I've attached a photo of my house from last January, believe it or not things got even worse before they got better. I did a poor job of bank management with my little Bobcat, and had to have someone come in with an 800 series (don't remember the exact model #) to bail me out. I don't see myself having as this kind of trouble with the snowblower. If I'm only moving a a couple inches of fluff, it just sort of dumps it off to the side a few feet, but get 8 inches of heavy snow behind it and that baby launches the stuff! I haven't gone out and measured the distance, but I'd say it's got to be throwing it 30 feet.

Time will tell, but right now I suspect that snowblower was one of the smartest purchases I've ever made.

Here's a link to a photo of my snowblower.
Tractor & blower

Attachments

• 561962-snowhouse.JPG
    561962-snowhouse.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 462
   / Clearing Snow #28  
HOLY CRIPE!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Is that a tool I see by the garage getting some of the snow off the roof?

That's a lotta snow!

/ Clearing Snow #29  
Yes, that's a roof rake. It work's pretty well, but the closer I get to the peak, the closer to the eaves I have to stand. I end up pulling it right down on my head. But the garage has a 12/12 pitch on the front, so I can't really stand on it to shovel.

/ Clearing Snow #30  
A snowblower is the only way to go. Unlike a back blade you get no big piles with the blower.

Here is my son taking care of the 5" we got last thrusday. Tractor is a B2710 with 64" Puma snowblower.

Attachments

• 562017-Img_0010d.jpg
    562017-Img_0010d.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 376