Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow "Clearing" Observation

/ Snow "Clearing" Observation #1  

BXRICK

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1500
Snow \"Clearing\" Observation

As the snow has flown in much of the country over the last month, there have been a lot of posts about the "best" way to clear driveways, the downsides of each and such.

As I read these posts, I see the main ways to do it:
FEL, back blade (fowards and backwards), blower, front blade.
Each has its up and down sides which you can read about all over this board.

One thing I find interesting, and I think affects peoples' opinions on the "best" method, is the reltive nature of the phrase "clear snow".

For instance, many people talk about "letting a few inches build up" on their gravel drives. Which works well - I do it on my drive. But to other people "a few inches" of hard pack is anything but "clear". Neither is wrong, just a difference of opinion about how clear a driveway has to be.

None of this matters, but I just found it interesting.

And, no matter how well you clear your driveway, how much money and effort you tie up in it, it'll be clear in July.

/ Snow "Clearing" Observation #2  
Re: Snow \"Clearing\" Observation

Good observations. Often, each has their own set of circumstances, especially amount and type of snow normal for area, type, length, slope of driveway, and then financial and personal preferences. I think I get a little more seat time with the blower and RB combination vs. front angle blade (this is a good thing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). That said, I'm off to clear about 6" of nice new white stuff /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, and it's still snowing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Tom

/ Snow "Clearing" Observation #3  

I think everything is relative when someone, as you say, is going to clear snow /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif My driveway is 800 ft long and is sloping from moderate on top to steep on the other end. This time of year right through until sometime in Feb or Mar, I have a layer of ice on the entire length of the drive. Even though the driveway faces south amd west. Once that ice gets on there, it doesnt go away anytime soon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif As Tom says, its still snowing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scotty

/ Snow "Clearing" Observation #4  

My definition of "clearing snow" is to make sure the Motorhome can get out at a moments notice. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If I have to wait to July in order to get back into the driveway that's ok. The advantage of having my own tractor is that I don't have to lose time waiting for the plow guy before I could leave.

/ Snow "Clearing" Observation #5  

I'm happy so long as I can get in and out in a rear wheel drive car with no problem. The areas I plow are gravel and grass so I let a base develop.

/ Snow "Clearing" Observation #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

And, no matter how well you clear your driveway, how much money and effort you tie up in it, it'll be clear in July.
)</font>

I once worked at a hydro electric plant in the Eastern Sierras. The company housed you there. The driveway wasn't always clear in July. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Snow "Clearing" Observation #7  

Yup, only seven more months till summer!