Snow Equipment Owning/Operating snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #1  

HEC

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 @ B2650HSDC
snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4\'s

My previous tractor , an M5400 had R1 tires and other than a few cuts etc. no problems in snow or woods or fields.I traded to an M5700 so I could get creeper gears but other than that it is basically the same tractor except I now have R4 tires.I was very skeptical about changing tires but wanted the tougher tire so I decided to give them a try.After reading all the posts I could find here about the R4's I went with them.We just had about 6 inches of snow than rain and than freezing rain on top of all that.I came home from work and was faced with snow, wet slush, ice etc..I must say to much relief the R4's performed very well while cleaning up about 700feet of driveway and a parking area with the fel..I couldn't use the rear mounted blower for obvious reasons or a rear mounted snow plow as this stuff was almost frozen .Can I say for sure they worked as good as the R1's, no I can't but I think they are very close if not as good,so far that is.I will have to wait for summer to see if I am as well pleased with them than also,sure hope so.I would like to thank all of you for the great posts as they are so helpful.Have a Happy New Year.
Herb,

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #2  
Re: snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4\'s

The only time I run into trouble with my R4's is ice. I have a steep driveway and they just don't touch or grab in the ice. I have been trying to buy a nice set of chains that won't tear up concrete.

murph

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #3  

My neighbor has R4s in similar conditions to mine. With chains he's happy with them in winter. But he hates them in mud season when they just load up and spin. I really like the looks of R4s and the durability when it comes to heavy loader work, but having pulled him to freedom with my L3010 and ags several times I just can't go there

Pete

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #4  

Can I have YOUR R4's, as I feel less than comfortable on anything but very powdery snow with mine? I love them for all other purposes and think they look and wear better than the R1 tires. Where I live it is very hilly and places are very steep and I have slid down hills with mine. Interestingly, my tractor will GO OK with them, but lateral stability and sliding seems to be a weak spot.

John M

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #5  

"I really like the looks of R4s and the durability when it comes to heavy loader work"

I like R-4's due to the wide stance...very stable. But, I got to admit...not so hot on ice. I was dragging the blade over some iced up spots on my gravel drive...well, chains would have been a big help, I think.

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #6  

I prefer R-1 tires over R-4 tires for the mud and snow.Thats why I have R-1 tires for myself.I have a set of R-4 tires gathering dust in my barn.An R-4 tire will not wear as much as R-1 tires. R-1 tires will give the tractor a higher profie and more ground clearance on my JD 4400.

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #7  

I don't have a basis for comparison since I have never had R-1s. However, My R-4s do very well in snow and on any ground other than deep mud. I recently put chains on them for use on ice, although they got through last winter fine without them. We had rain and a thaw today and with the chains on they also do very well in mud.

They are extremely effective for FEL work the rest of the year. If you get a lot of ice, chains are a good idea as my understanding is that no tire gets decent traction on ice without chains.

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #8  

I've had no problem so far with R4, but is there an advantage with R1 on icy surfaces...cag

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's

That's interesting as when the dealer brought the new tractor we had the two side by side and measured the height and it was almost exactly the same.

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's

I can certainly see the advantage of the R1's in the mud but can't see where R1's would be any better on ice.I am very fortunate as my land is quite flat and I don't encounter all that much mud either.I may have made a mistake with the R4's only time will tell.If worse comes to worse I will revert back to the R1's,costly mistake on my part.