Snow Attachments FEL mounted snow plow in deep, wet, heavy snow?

/ FEL mounted snow plow in deep, wet, heavy snow? #1  

bam747

Silver Member
Palmer Divide in El Paso County, Colorado
Tractor
John Deere 4720 (2007)
First, let me define "deep, wet, heavy" snow...

At least 15" deep. Wet and heavy defined as early fall or spring time "Sierra Cement" snow. My location is the front range of Colorado. Just got done with a storm that dropped an official 24" with high winds to make even bigger drifts.

My question is will an angled FEL mounted snow plow (say a Curtis) handle this situation or will the tractor just be pushed sideways by the snow?

As for the tractor, it is a 2WD John Deere 1020 utility ag (one nominal step up in class from a large frame cut and similar to todays 5xxx series). My particular tractor/FEL combo with a rear blade weighs in at 7500 lbs.

I already assume that having MFWD would help emmensly to keep the tractor and FEL mounted snow plow going in the intended direction. But, that would be a minimum $20,000 "option" to replace my current tractor.

/ FEL mounted snow plow in deep, wet, heavy snow? #2  
phew!

doesnt sound like something the avg FEL mounted plow can tackel. (in one pass)

id say a rear mounted bower would be the way to go for that kind of snow...

/ FEL mounted snow plow in deep, wet, heavy snow? #3  
I think too a rear blower. 2WD should be fine and there will be no accumulation of banks, depending on how often you have to plow.

/ FEL mounted snow plow in deep, wet, heavy snow? #4  
Some Chains would be helpful.

/ FEL mounted snow plow in deep, wet, heavy snow? #5  
my experience with the fisher 7 foot mounted in the 5 foot bucket, on Ford 1720 4 WD, would be a real pull to the one side when angled. However, when I keep it raised a few inches it makes a big difference, Expecially when it builds up in fron to fthe plow and wont shed it off to often.Even with an angled blade on the rear with chains and four wheel drive I have plowed, and if its heavy enough it pushes the rear sideways..
I have alkl gravel, and prefere to use the plow, and then once or twice I use the blower to blow the banking away.One advantage, to blowing it, is in the spring, I dont have the snow bankings melting and contributing to my mud..
Hope this helps..
Al

/ FEL mounted snow plow in deep, wet, heavy snow? #6  
I agree with Al that if you keep the blade just off the ground you might have better traction when pushing that much snow with the blade angled. I live in the snow belt of upstate NY and my 4WD tractor only weighs about 4K with the loader and plow up front and snowblower on back. With a lot of snow and the blade angled it will push the tractor over whether I lift the blade or not. On heavy snows I either straight blade, use bucket alone, or use the snowblower on back.
George

/ FEL mounted snow plow in deep, wet, heavy snow? #7  
A plow can only pile the so high when you wind row it. As much snow as you get I think a blower would be the way to go(if you can afford it). Or use the blade to open the drive and then use the FEL to pile and push the snow back so the next snow you have somewhere to put it

/ FEL mounted snow plow in deep, wet, heavy snow? #8  
I have a 7' plow on my Tahoe 4WD. Driveway is paved and steep. I have never been pushed sideways - been using this setup for ten years. Maybe 6000+# make a little difference - that and the wheelbase length.

If we really got dumped on - then it is time for my little GC2300 to go to work with the FEL. Plunge - lift - turn - dump - and again 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 now let's all dance the snow flake stomp!!!:D

/ FEL mounted snow plow in deep, wet, heavy snow? #9  
I think that we all have trouble with wet heavy snow. I have to plow 2.5 miles of driveway up over a mountain and I dread the wet snow. The Blower does not do all that well in wet snow, especially as deep as you are talking. 4wd. would make a difference but it is still tough. I usually try to polw downhill as much as possible when the snow is wet and heavy.
i usually break out my case 580 Backhoe when it is wet and deep.

I agree with the chains idea. they will suprise you for sure how much more effective they really can be.

/ FEL mounted snow plow in deep, wet, heavy snow? #10