Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Plowin' snow with fel question.

/ Plowin' snow with fel question. #1  

oscer

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4110
Hi fellas, It's that time of year again.It seems to me I saw somthing in a thread once about putting a piece of pipe over the cutting edge of the bucket on your fel. I did a search but came up empty. My question is, what size pipe and how was it attached?

/ Plowin' snow with fel question. #2  
If I remember right, it was a section of PVC that served as a wear edge, bolted to the cutting edge through the holes for the toothbar. Mostly it was to protect asphalt and concrete from getting scratched and gouged by the blade. Conveyor belt material was also suggested.

/ Plowin' snow with fel question.
I was thinkin about this earlier in the year and I thought the thing to do would be to make a brace that would match the holes for the toothbar. Trouble is I haven't bought a thooth bar yet.

/ Plowin' snow with fel question. #4  
But if you have the holes in the FEL bucket where a toothbar attaches, that should be all you need for now. It depends on your bucket. Mine has a series of holes about 10 inches apart along the leading edge of the bucket.

The FEL does not make a good snow removal tool. It will pick the stuff up and move it well enough, but it's much more efficient to push it aside. Besides, the stuff tends to stick to the inside of the bucket no matter how much you shake it around and then you have to keep getting off the tractor and shoveling it out of the bucket.

Consider getting a back blade. Depending on your tractor, you can get a brand new one for under $250 without shopping too hard. I got a 6 footer at auction for $45. My dealer has a heavier one of the same size for $150, and would probably take less.

That may be the way to go I've never used one for anything before. just doesn't seem like a good idea to tun over it, then try to scrape it up. I have a buddy who bought a blade that replaces the bucket on his fel,but he's not impressed with it's performance ,he says it digs in all the time.

/ Plowin' snow with fel question. #6  
A rear blade with skid shoes will work very well. Driving over fresh snow that is not so deep that the tractor has a hard time is OK. The rear blade will move it just fine. The problem that develops, and it is a problem with any piece of snow removal equipment, is snow that has been driven on several times and then packed into ice. That is very difficult to remove. I try to plow my driveway any time there is even a small amount of snow so that it never gets a chance to turn to ice. Usually in the morning before work and then in the evening if it snowed during the day. Even if it has been driven on a lot during the day the sooner you can get it off the better.

Attachments

• P1010049 (Small).JPG
    P1010049 (Small).JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,321
  • P1010043 (Small).JPG
    P1010043 (Small).JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,092
  • P1010042 (Small).JPG
    P1010042 (Small).JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,104
   / Plowin' snow with fel question. #7  
daTeacha said:
But if you have the holes in the FEL bucket where a toothbar attaches, that should be all you need for now. It depends on your bucket. Mine has a series of holes about 10 inches apart along the leading edge of the bucket.

These holes are drilled in the front edge of the bucket so you can attach a replacement cutting edge on the bucket. This is also a very common method of the bucket manufacturers to make a few extra dollars. When the cutting edge on your bucket wears out, they get to sell you a replacement bolt on cutting edge that has the holes already mated up to the size of your bucket. A friend just purchased a new Fischer snow plow, and it came with holes drilled in the front lower cutting edge. Problem is that if you don't purchase a cutting edge to bolt to those holes, when the original cutting edge gets worn away, you have less material to bolt the new cutting edge to. Fischer recommends that you purchase a new bolt on cutting edge and use it prior to ever using the plow. They keep the cost of the plow down, and also make an add on sale for the dealer.
If you can find an old snow plow, weld some ears into the bucket to hold the snow plow frame and you will have the best of both worlds. A snow plow that is easy to take on and off, and a bucket when you have to pile snow higher. A well painted surface on the inside of the bucket will go a long way to helping to keep the snow from sticking to the bucket. Spray the inside of the bucket with some light oil if the snow is very wet. Also, a tractor that is kept in a heated garage will have warm metal, and that warm metal might cause some of the snow to melt and refreeze to the inside of the bucket.
Dusty

Toolguy,those pics almost make me wish it would snow.well I said almost. I've been using my cub cadet with 42" snowplow so far. I'm having some starting problems with it though. I also use it to trim during mowing season,I'd like to phase it out eventualy.My bucket doesn't have any holes. If I drill any I want to fit tooth bar and pipe so I guess I should invest in a tooth bar next.

Last edited:
   / Plowin' snow with fel question. #9  
I've used the FEL to move snow, and it hasn't bothered my asphalt driveway. I now have a rear blade, and it doesn't seem to mar the driveway. If you have fairly new paving, replacing the rear blade with a piece of horse mat has worked for some.

Rear blades are very cheap. Mine was only $250. However, the FEL will work fine in light snow. You'll get tired of stopping, turning and dumping it in heavy snow.

My toothbar is attached by 2 holes in the side of the bucket. They are no good for attaching anything to the edge. Tried a piece of heater hose, slit and put over the edge of my Gravely snow plow when I had it and when my driveway was freshly done. Didn't work that well and tended to come off easily. Think I tried it on the back blade, too. No luck there either. Finally used both without anything, and they didn't mark the driveway. Didn't get much snow that season though.

Ralph

/ Plowin' snow with fel question. #10  
daTeacha said:
The FEL does not make a good snow removal tool. It will pick the stuff up and move it well enough, but it's much more efficient to push it aside. Besides, the stuff tends to stick to the inside of the bucket no matter how much you shake it around and then you have to keep getting off the tractor and shoveling it out of the bucket.

It really depends on what type of snow and the location you are moving it from. If you have tight areas like a parking lot, the FEL excels. For long straight runs a plow excels. I have used FEL's, rear blades, box blades, loader mounted snow plows and rear mounted snow blowers. Personally I do not like using a rear mounted blade for other than small areas. I find a loader mounted plow the best option for most uses. It allows you to pile the snow high. Typical piles at the end of my former 1/4 mile drive were about 20 feet high. Created by pushing the snow into a pile and over time creating a ramp to drive and push up the pile.

with a rear blade you are either driving over the snow, which with the type of snow we get creates packed snow which turns to ice or you are plowing in reverse, which gets old unless it it very occasional for short distances.

Just my thoughts

Andy