Snow Equipment Owning/Operating plowing, Loading and throwing deep snow pictures

/ plowing, Loading and throwing deep snow pictures #11  
Wayne, I made sure to leave plenty of space with the 1st storm. Just got done with round 2. Just watched the weather reports and they are calling for more inches between now and Sunday. They are also calling for a lot of wind whick of course means drifting. Oh well, thats why we live in Colorado.

Jack

/ plowing, Loading and throwing deep snow pictures #12  
For those of you who push snow with your bucket, if you have a forward pointing exhaust, could you put a piece of flex pipe from your exhaust to a piece of pipe mounted lengthwise on the back of the bucket to keep it heated up and snow from building up on the inside? That seems to be a problem and that might be a simple fix.

/ plowing, Loading and throwing deep snow pictures #13  
BTDT said:
For those of you who push snow with your bucket, if you have a forward pointing exhaust, could you put a piece of flex pipe from your exhaust to a piece of pipe mounted lengthwise on the back of the bucket to keep it heated up and snow from building up on the inside? That seems to be a problem and that might be a simple fix.

I don't think it would produce enough heat.
Bob

/ plowing, Loading and throwing deep snow pictures #14  
I know if my 2 cyl. Ford diesel is running 2200 rpm, you can't keep your gloved hand on the exhaust or in front of where the exhaust exits pipe due to the heat. Now I would think that with the tractor running, and this hot exhaust traveling along (thru) the flex pipe, then thru the pipe mounted to bucket and exiting, that this whole section would stay hot. Whether or not it would be enough heat to transfer to a large enough section of the bucket to keep it "snow free", I don't know. I have attatched a drawing of how I was suggesting the above piping arrangement. Just an idea I thought might be of some use to someone.

Attachments

• Bucket warmed by exhaust.pdf
    16.3 KB · Views: 618
   / plowing, Loading and throwing deep snow pictures #15  
I used to own dump trucks that I hired out to the city to haul snow. I studied the heated dump box (exhaust runs through cavities in the box structure) and decided against it because the snow melts at the heated areas and less so as you move away from the heat source. Depending on air temperature and snow consistency, there are usually areas in betwen the hot and the cold where the snow tends to stick and build up. I compared my trucks to others that were heated, and on any one night (we usually hauled at night), the snow could be sticking in mine but not the others, or sticking in the others but not in mine, depending on temperature and snow condition.
Anyway, that may or may not be relevant here. Something to think about.

/ plowing, Loading and throwing deep snow pictures #16  
Raddad said:
Upload some pictures of tractors moving snow.

Shucks. Sorry! Can't help out, there! I can, however, show you just the snow! That was winter '04-'05 in Maine and I did all of that shoveling BY HAND. We had 2 storms in one week that each were over 20". Those took roughly 8 hours each to shovel. I'd probably have a heart attack now if I tried to do something like that!

Ah, drat. I had some photos, somewhere, of the snow fort I did with my Bobcat the year before that... It was around 40' long, 8' high and 12' wide. I made a slide that went 1/2 the length or so of it inside and then out the door. That was a lot of fun (the making and the sledding)!

Attachments

• DSCF2313 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF2313 (Custom).JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 613
  • DSCF2311 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF2311 (Custom).JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 534
   / plowing, Loading and throwing deep snow pictures #17  
yep
worked my tail off, clearing our 1/2 mile long street (twice now) and had to go do the church afterwards. (just drove over). These pictures are after the first storm, just add more snow for the 2nd storm (we only got about 8 more inches, but we're running out of places to put it)

The 2 rail fence in front of my yard. That bottom rail is about 6" in diameter and its 18" off the ground from the bottom. Those piles are about 6' tall
railfence.jpg

My back door. That's my great dane, to give you some idea. That pile to his left is about 5' tall. That planter to the dog's left is 16" tall.

greatdane.jpg

Out my front door, yes that's a real 14 hand horse behind that pile, gives you some idea of size. These aren't even the big piles.

piles.jpg

Still more. You can see the street we cleared.

morepiles.jpg

/ plowing, Loading and throwing deep snow pictures #18  
Those pics look like the good ole fashion New England winters I remember,but in the last 5 or so years seems less and less.

Sure hope your don't get much drifting there LoneCowboy.

/ plowing, Loading and throwing deep snow pictures #19  
Here it is New Year's eve morning and it's like a spring day here in SE PA. It's a little bit weird feeling to go out in a long sleeve shirt at this time of year. No snow for us. I hope this is just a fluke and not the way the weather is changing. I've been ready for snow since Thanksgiving!

/ plowing, Loading and throwing deep snow pictures #20  
Ifixcars said:
Here it is New Year's eve morning and it's like a spring day here in SE PA. It's a little bit weird feeling to go out in a long sleeve shirt at this time of year. No snow for us. I hope this is just a fluke and not the way the weather is changing. I've been ready for snow since Thanksgiving!

I've been waiting for three years (time since tractor) for a big snow in the mountains of SW Virginia. We used to get several big snows, well what I consider a big snow anyway each year, but our area hasn't had anything over 8" in the past 5-6 years. I'm tired of haivng 60 degree days at the end of December. I'm ready for a blizzard. Come on Colorado guys send your snow my way.