Snow Attachments SNOW PLOW RESTORATION

/ SNOW PLOW RESTORATION #11  
You also know where the weak point is! :eek: Ouch, sorry for your problems especially for a cylinder. The rod can probably be straightened though.

Mike

/ SNOW PLOW RESTORATION #12  
I to have a "salvaged" plow that has been welded up to fit my tc 40 loader. I don't have any pics but will post some as I finally used it this weekend with 10" of snow most since we built it three years ago. I bought the blade for 10 bucks at an auction and have about 250 in metal and paint after that. My question is in regards to your hydraulic angle. Right now I adjust my manually with a pin. I am always looking for the easier way to "work" and have an extra cylinder that could be used from my bucket grapple. My question is with your cylinder can you angle your blade left and right or just one way. I would need to angle left right to get my road done the fastest

/ SNOW PLOW RESTORATION #13  
Walt-

That bend really s--ks but serves as a great lesson for the rest of us. Don't feel bad, if the plow kept tripping on me, I probably would have chained it faster than you did!

I am glad to see that you have gotten things back together and I know you added two springs, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out why the plow would have been tripping that much.

Oh well, life is full of mysteries - nice work and good luck

/ SNOW PLOW RESTORATION
I hope a final fix to this story is that at NAPA, I found 2 Snow plow springs, much more heavy duty than the TSC springs in the posted picture. I bought 2 @ $15 per spring vs the much lighter springs from TSC @ $20. I bought another hydraulic cylinder @ TSC to replace the bent one. With steel & new parts, the repair is $150 & 2 days work.
The original center spring is much larger, but has probably lost it's strength. Rain rather than snow is forecast for Sunday, but I'll try it on the 2-3" of remaining driveway snow on Saturday.

Who knew........

WALT

/ SNOW PLOW RESTORATION
Regarding the angle question, it moves about 20 degrees each way. Most truck snow plows have a cylinder on each side, which increases the angle available greatly. With a single cylinder, you would need a multi stage telescopic type to duplicate that. $$$$$$$ I use the same cylinder to angle my 6' landscape rake, again which works for my needs.
I can also pin the plow when removing the cylinder, which gives me about 45 degrees each way, but I have to get off the tractor to adjust it. I like the ease of controlling the angle from the tractor seat, and that works OK most of the time.

WALT

/ SNOW PLOW RESTORATION #16  
Bummer, I could feel your pain just looking at the pictures.. The same feeling you get when you see your truck roll down the hill after it was jacked up with the wheel removed... ahhh.. (not having learned about chocks yet..) I would like to know how it performes. I went back and forth between making a sub frame / in line mount or making a bucket mount. I went with the subfame and it works good. I do like the quick attach mount work. You may want to ask if gage wheels work better on gravel, in the build it section I saw one person build a plow with wheels behind the blade to set the hieght.

/ SNOW PLOW RESTORATION #17  
Walt,
Don't feel bad about bending the plow. it can be repaired. Like you did I also have fabricated a mount for my plow. I saved a bunch of money. I found a 7-1/2 ft Fisher plow for nothing. I bought some second hand steel for 10 bucks. I bought the quick mount parts from Deere for 31 bucks. A friend of mine helped me weld everything up. I gave him a cord of wood off my lot. During the first storm I went out and tried it out for the first time. On my second pass I hooked a rock and re-aligned the lower frame. Needless to say I'm going to have to get some thicker heavier steel for the bottom frame and repair it. However I could run out and buy a brand new Curtis plow for my tractor for a few thousand bucks. I don't think so!!! I'll keep plugging away till I get it right. It's more fun that way!!!! By the way we had our 3rd storm in a week and I plowed my driveway with no problem bent lower frame and all.

/ SNOW PLOW RESTORATION
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!

Wife & kids at her brothers for Christmas, and some free time to try out the plow repair.
The addition of the two plow springs keep the blade from too much trip, and all the reinforcements performed as needed.
Sunday it will be 50 degrees & rain, but I pushed back the snow banks and plowed the remaining driveway snow without incident.
The only thing remaining is to perhaps mount tire chains on the L-39 to improve traction.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

WALT

/ SNOW PLOW RESTORATION #19  
Can you add enough spacers between plow and feet so that when you curl the loader back it lifts the cutting edge while the feet are the pivot on the ground? That way you can always get the edge above the gravel, by curling. I find that a big help. My old Fisher trips at the cutting edge, but has the same tripping problem as you have on gravel before it freezes. This year I made 8 x 8 overshoes for the feet, and that helps keep the feet from digging grooves. It takes a bunch of playing around with settings but beats a shovel any day. Best is when the ground stays frozen all winter.
Jim

/ SNOW PLOW RESTORATION #20  
Walt, awesome job. I think Ill be going to the local junk yard myself just to see what hanging around.