Snow Attachments Snow removal

/ Snow removal #1  

Solo

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer2030
I'm wondering if a Landscape rake would be good to pull up my driveway. Not to remove snow but to kick gravel up from the packed snow that has turned to ice. I'm thinking it might break up the ice and help aid with traction. I can take my rear blade and remove the loose snow before attempting this. The only problem is I would have to go buy a rake. Has anyone tried this?
Solo

/ Snow removal #2  
Sounds like it would just make a mess to me. It may break up the ice, but the rake will gather up the pieces, then you will have to drag them somewhere to get them out of the way. The ice that is in contact with the gravel will have gravel imbedded in it, so you would be scattering your gravel possibly to places you didn't want it. Good luck. Try it and see how it works.

/ Snow removal #3  
Solo said:
I'm wondering if a Landscape rake would be good to pull up my driveway. Not to remove snow but to kick gravel up from the packed snow that has turned to ice. I'm thinking it might break up the ice and help aid with traction. I can take my rear blade and remove the loose snow before attempting this. The only problem is I would have to go buy a rake. Has anyone tried this?
Solo

no
bad idea.

/ Snow removal #4  
I wouldn't try it,depending on how much snow on top of the ice,I would have the driveway sanded....less of mess to clean up come spring time.

Maybe stock pile some highway mix,same as your highway department uses...be sure to cover tho.

/ Snow removal
It looks like I won't buy a rake today. :)

Solo

/ Snow removal #6  
Oh no, we're not saying don't buy a rake.
We're saying it might not work for that.
But it does have some good purposes.
Buy it for that.

Everyone needs more implements.:cool:

/ Snow removal #7  
Solo, I'll post some pics later. I use a landscape rake almost exclusively to do snow removal on stone driveways and on a 3000 foot stone road in a housing subdivision. I try not to let the snow get rolled in with traffic,because it makes it a little tougher to pop up the stone. Sometimes if it gets rolled in I'll angle the rake as sharp as it will go and pull loose stone from the edge of the road. Forget the box blades and rear blades. I have a 84 inch front blade on the JD3520 with the rake on the rear,but only use the front blade to HIGH BLADE deep snow off the road and then finish up with the rake. The rake works excellent for popping stone to the top. You can also remove deep snow with the rake by angling it to the outside and running with it just touching the stone so you are not windrowing your stone off the road. The only drawback is you can't use it very effectively on wet snow,because the stone sticks to the snow.You will not find a better choice for snow removal on stone driveways or roads.

/ Snow removal #8  
Are guage wheels needed to do this properly?

/ Snow removal #9  
deereman,I can't really give an opinion on the guage wheels as I have never used them. You just sort or have watch the rake some you are just kicking up the stone and not pulling a lot of stone with the rake. If the road is froze you can probably just run with the rake all the way down. If you need to tear up some rolled in snow the rake works best with it angled all the way one way or the other. That way it rips up the packed snow or ice.

Popping up stone on snow covered road.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/dirtworksequip/P1010958.jpg

/ Snow removal
Dirt
That pic is precisely what I want to do with my driveway.

Thanks
Solo