Price Check fair price for a Terramite T5C?

/ fair price for a Terramite T5C? #1  

FredWalter

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5300, Gravely 8163G, BCS735, etc
I'm in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. We don't get many Terramites up here, used or otherwise.

I'm considering buying one. Here's what I can tell you about it:
- some of the cylinders leak
- his current asking price of $8500 (Canadian dollars) is firm (he turned down an offer of $6000 for it; he'd rather keep it at that price)
- he has had it for sale for a while, and he has lowered his asking price since he first advertised it (his original asking price probably was firm too)
- the hour meter says 3187, but is broken
- he says that the previous owner told him that the motor was replaced about 4 years ago with a 18hp Kohler diesel engine, but he doesn't have any way of proving that it isn't the original motor
- he thinks it is a T5C Terramite, but the dates and serial number that he has given me don't match up (he says he was told when he bought it about a year ago, that it was an 1986 model, making it a T5B, but the serial number plate on it says something about being tested in 1988/1989, and the serial number that he gave me was for a machine made in 1994, making it a T5C)

/ fair price for a Terramite T5C? #2  
Fred-
Do you need it now? I would be very tempted to wait him out cause there's too many wrong answers to info he gave you. Good Luck -Ed

/ fair price for a Terramite T5C?
Red55> Do you need it now?

I want to start doing some foundation work in March on my house.

Red55> I would be very tempted to wait him out cause there's too many
Red55> wrong answers to info he gave you.

I'm hoping in the next couple of days to find the time to go see it.
(It's about a 5 hour round trip.) I gotta wonder how serious he is
about selling it, when he cannot be bothered to answer simple questions
about it.

I'm also considering a slightly used Massey Ferguson GC2310TLB.
I've test driven a GC2300 (same as the GC2310TLB without the backhoe),
and it's a nice ride. It would definitely be a much nicer machine to use
than the Terramite, but it also would be a *lot* more money,
and it has only a 6'6" digging depth, as compared with the 8'4" for
the Terramite. The Terramite would be a lot easier for me to work on;
I'd probably end up having to take the GC2310TLB to a dealer
if something broke, because it is just so much more complicated
than a Terramite.

/ fair price for a Terramite T5C? #4  
You do know the Terramite cannot use a mower or any 3 point equipment... It is strictly a Backhoe / Loader. Neither can be removed. I don't remember the T5 being available with a Kohler Diesel. Most had a Honda or a Kohler gas. One downside of the Terramite is the single speed transmission. With a full bucket many will not climb a significant hill and it's ability to push is somewaht limited.

/ fair price for a Terramite T5C? #5  
I rented a Terramite T9 once, it had a 32hp Turbo Kubota engine in it. Based on that experiance, I would be looking at the MF, I didn't like the Terramite at all. I wouldn't spend $8500 for the T9, never mind the T5.

Harry c said:
You do know the Terramite cannot use a mower or any 3 point equipment... It is strictly a Backhoe / Loader. Neither can be removed.

Yup, I know that. What was of interest to me was:
- 8'4" digging depth (compared with GC2310's 6'6")
- at least $8000 less to buy than a GC2310

The GC2310 would be a *lot* more useful in the long run, but for the price,
I could buy the Terramite *and* another used loader-tractor.
(Of course, then I'd have another machine to maintain, and store...)

I don't remember the T5 being available with a Kohler Diesel.

The engine on this Terramite was replaced at some point
(maybe 4-5 years ago). Of course, modern Terramites have 20hp engines,
so the 18hp engine on this one might mean that this one is underpowered.

One downside of the Terramite is the single speed transmission.
With a full bucket many will not climb a significant hill and it's ability
to push is somewaht limited.

This is one of the things that concerns me. I have clay soil,
and the potential of an 8'4" digging depth is worthless if the machine
doesn't have the power to actually go that deep.

One thing that I really like about the GC2310 is that it is 4-wheel-drive.

I've already test driven a GC2300. I'm supposed to go on Friday,
and test drive a GC2310, and the Terramite T5C.

/ fair price for a Terramite T5C? #7  
FredWalter said:
I'm in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. We don't get many Terramites up here, used or otherwise.

I'm considering buying one. Here's what I can tell you about it:
- some of the cylinders leak
- his current asking price of $8500 (Canadian dollars) is firm (he turned down an offer of $6000 for it; he'd rather keep it at that price)
- he has had it for sale for a while, and he has lowered his asking price since he first advertised it (his original asking price probably was firm too)
- the hour meter says 3187, but is broken
- he says that the previous owner told him that the motor was replaced about 4 years ago with a 18hp Kohler diesel engine, but he doesn't have any way of proving that it isn't the original motor
- he thinks it is a T5C Terramite, but the dates and serial number that he has given me don't match up (he says he was told when he bought it about a year ago, that it was an 1986 model, making it a T5B, but the serial number plate on it says something about being tested in 1988/1989, and the serial number that he gave me was for a machine made in 1994, making it a T5C)

Whether you do or don't want a terramite, I don't think you want it from this guy. Especially not for a 5 hour round trip.

There's no knowing what you'd be getting based on the information he's given you. It may even be a few machines pieced together from the sound of it. Figure out what it's going to cost you to drive 5 hours and add that to your budget to get something that is more of a sure bet.

/ fair price for a Terramite T5C? #9  
I was also considering the Terramite. They look rugged but as I've read they are under powered unless you have perfect digging conditions. I as well just skipped the test dive of the Terramite and baught the GC2310.

/ fair price for a Terramite T5C? #10  
I work for a natural gas company and we use our T9 ALOT. Great machine, not underpowered at all in my opinion. Easier to get into alleys and yards than our Deere hoe.