T5C larger front bucket?

/ T5C larger front bucket? #1  

cstamm81

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Mahindra 3016HST, Kubota F2880
Curious if a larger front bucket is available or could be adapted to the T5? I move a lot of dirt and it seems there is plenty of lift power for anything I can put in it. I am fairly confident it has the power to utilize a larger bucket. ANy experience / ideas? I have also kicked around the idea of mounting a skid steer plate on the front, then having the ability to quick change numerous buckets and lower powered hyd. implements. Any thoughts?

/ T5C larger front bucket? #2  
Looking online the specs indicate that the FEL can lift 1700 pounds but the bucket holds 1/4 yard. Seems like you should be able to get a larger bucket.

But the specs also say that it weighs 3100 pounds. If it weighs 3100 pounds and you put a 1/2 yard bucket on it and were driving around with 1500 pounds of material in the bucket that is likely to be an unstable situation.

/ T5C larger front bucket?
That is a good point. I have forks that clamp on and I have to watch what I pick up as I can get the rear wheels pretty light. I suppose the designers put this size bucket on for a reason. I just over think things, but still think it could handle a tad bigger bucket.

/ T5C larger front bucket? #4  
A Kubota B21 has a 1/3 yard (when heaped) bucket. The B21 weighs closer to 4000 pounds.

I have used non TLBs to move dirt in the past. Without something heavy on the back they tend to tilt forward. I suspect you will quickly move beyond the counter weight provided by the backhoe.

I also am surprised by the significant lift capacity of the T5C FEL. The B21 FEL will lift a little under 1000 pounds to full height while the breakout force is around 1550.

The lift capacity is amazing imo. I have wedged 14" thick pieces of concrete into the bucket that hung out 3 to 4 feet in front of the bucket. And to think I was looking at Kubota BX's, I believe they only lift 500lbs.

/ T5C larger front bucket? #6  
Just add counter weights, to compensate for the large bucket. Now, if only your front end can handle the extra weight on the axles, etc.

/ T5C larger front bucket? #7  
The front loader on these is pretty amaizng. I tore my back porch up last summer and was moving some really large pieces on concrete with mine. I think the original thought for a smaller bucket on these was to keep an inexperienced operator from trying to pick up more than the machine could handle and travel with safely. Remember a major market for these machines are rental units and you have to factor in that an idiot may be using the machine once it leaves the factory. Lawyers and lawsuits are expensive!:confused2:

I would be surprised if the front end were not overbuilt, the rest of the tractor sure seems to be. This larger bucket all stem from the fact that I move a lot of dirt as I am filling in areas on my property. I get fill dropped off from time to time in my front yard, then move it with the T5 to other areas of the property. I heap the dirt as much as possible and the T5 gives no complaints. I am fairly certain it could accommodate a larger bucket, at least for moving fairly dry soil. Now, the question becomes, where does one get a bucket that could be made to work???

/ T5C larger front bucket? #9  
Instead of buying and fabing up a quick attach setup why not build an extension onto your bucket. A new cutting edge would add 5+ inches onto your bucket and then add the sides and top as large as you think you need. Might be cheaper than buying a new bucket.

If your t5 is as old as mine it could use a new cutting edge to help out anyhow.

I use mine mostly to move dirt but I think a wider/taller bucket would just be problems. A deeper bucket would be just fine.

That is a good idea, the cost savings alone wold be worth it. I guess heavy flat stock butt-welded would be best? Might be kind of tricky to get it right I would imagine.