Loaded my back tires today.

/ Loaded my back tires today. #1  

QRTRHRS

Elite Member
Tractor
None at this time.
Warning, some of this might upset some. I had to bury a horse last week (she was coming up on 32, it was time) and had some weight issues.

I had placed the deceased horse on a sheet of plywood and picked it up with my forks with no issues. However, when I went to lower the animal into the grave, I had the chains hanging from the tips of my forks which put the weight to far foraward and took to much weight off the rear end. Got as little hairy but I managed to get the horse in and keep myself and the T9 out of the hole.

My tires are original circa 2001 and have had some slow leaks. I had tubes put in and calcium on the rears. The fronts were so bad, we put "boots" and tubes in them. When I got everything back together tonight, one of the fronts was leaking so I did not get to move the unit around. Guess the tube got pinched.

I am anxious now to see how much difference the weight makes.

While I had the rear wheels off, I pulled the rear drums off to inspect the brakes. Lo and behold, standard rear axle drum brakes that the emergency uses. So, I cleaned them up, put the drums on and adjusted them. They ought to hold better now.

/ Loaded my back tires today. #2  
So if i read literally, you loaded the back tires to be able to control dead horses... Do you have that many dead horses to worry about ??? ;)

/ Loaded my back tires today.
So if i read literally, you loaded the back tires to be able to control dead horses... Do you have that many dead horses to worry about ??? ;)
I have a 27 year old Quarterhorse stud, a 27 year old Arabian and a 26 year old Arabian. The stud is pretty arthritic though still eating. The 27 yr old Arab is a grey loaded with melanoma's and the 26 yr old Arab has COPD and other issues. Just might be a busy year.

I loaded the back tires to enhance being able to back up a grade a little better and to be able to lift pallets with material on them in addition to being able to handle a 1000lb horse.

Well, I got to test out my weighted tires today. We had to put the quarter horse down. (I knew it was coming but I did not think this soon)

At around 900-1000 lbs, he gave me and the machine a workout. I don't think I could have handled him without the added weight plus three 40 lb bags of lime on both fenders.

No problem picking up the weight per sey until I had to hang it off the tips of my forks with the loader frame raised all the way up. I had to take my time and try to keep the machine level as I could.

Anyway, I got that task finished then went on to do several other chores with the machine. For the normal kind of work, the weighted tires really made a big improvement.

Hate to hear about your losses with the horses, but glad the T9 was around to handle the chore at hand. Is your T9 a 4 wheel drive?
No, mine is only 2 wheel. Not to many used 4x's on the market.

Thanks, while changing out the hydraulic filter and fluid recently, I did find some loose bolts here and there. Question for you on backhoe bushings. I have quite a bit of play in the verticle pin area that allows the side to side swing. Are those nylon or bronze bushings? The machine is a circa 2001.

The bushings are split steel. Our part number is 17252 the dimensions are 1.5"ID x 1.75"OD x 1.25"Long. The pin is a part number 17253 it's 4.75" Long x 1.5" Diameter. I got em in stock give me a call at 1-800-428-3772

Travis
Okay thanks, it may be a week or so until I get a chance to tear into it. I will be taking it apart to see just what I have going on before I order.