Backhoe thumb

/ Backhoe thumb #1  

Terrasteve

Silver Member
Tractor
Terramite T5D
Just curious if anyone has put a thumb on their Terramite,and if so how well does it work? Was it worth it or not? I would like to see some pics.

/ Backhoe thumb #2  
I've thought about doing it just never got around to it. I've also really thought about putting on a quick attach plate to be able to change between bucket and forks easily. A grapple would be nice too!

/ Backhoe thumb #3  
I dug a couple of stumps this week and just gripped the root ball with bucket and arm of backhoe. Worked good for that. bigdan

/ Backhoe thumb #4  
I dont have a Terramite but do have a hydraulic thumb on my Kubota B26 and it is about the handiest tool on a hoe. I use it to grab roots and rip them out of the ground when stumping. Yes you can so curl a stump against your BH arm but a thumb is much more versatile. I also use it to grab vines out of trees and pull them down, pick up small and large rocks to place them exactly where I want. Used it to pull out a stubborn T post. Lots of things it is good for. A stationary thumb would not be as easy to use but could still do most of the same things, just might require lots of adjusting to get the angle right for each task. Extra expense of adding the hydraulic control is sure worth it for me.

/ Backhoe thumb
I dont have a Terramite but do have a hydraulic thumb on my Kubota B26 and it is about the handiest tool on a hoe. I use it to grab roots and rip them out of the ground when stumping. Yes you can so curl a stump against your BH arm but a thumb is much more versatile. I also use it to grab vines out of trees and pull them down, pick up small and large rocks to place them exactly where I want. Used it to pull out a stubborn T post. Lots of things it is good for. A stationary thumb would not be as easy to use but could still do most of the same things, just might require lots of adjusting to get the angle right for each task. Extra expense of adding the hydraulic control is sure worth it for me.

I Have alot of vine's in my tree's. I can see how handy a thumb would be at pulling them down. I think a thumb is definatly in my 5D's future. They just make a handy machine even better all around.