Backhoe Some Thoughts on the Terramite

/ Some Thoughts on the Terramite #1  

gorj

Tractor
John Deere 4610, Bad Boy 4035 HST Cab
For about a month of so I have been doing some research on compact backhoes for the eventual purchase of a used one. I have been intrigued with the Terramite until I saw some YouTube videos. The first thing that turned me off was the incessant sound of the hydraulic system. It was louder than the engine. Then I noticed that when the FEL was picking up a load the rear tires lost traction easily. It is my opinion that no compact tractor with an FEL should be without 4WD. It does not matter how much weight the FEL can lift if the tractor does not have enough traction to get under that weight. When moving over even slightly uneven terrain the front wheels seem to flop around because of little weight in the front. When going up a slight incline it seemed the Terramite could barely make it. There is not enough swing to the backhoe to drop a load far enough out of way. I have read the opinions of the Terramite in this forum, but take a look at the videos and see for yourselves. I am sure that those who own a Terramite it meets their needs, but I have decided to purchase a used backhoe attachment and install it on my reliable, heavy, four wheel drive John Deere 4610.

/ Some Thoughts on the Terramite #2  
For about a month of so I have been doing some research on compact backhoes for the eventual purchase of a used one. I have been intrigued with the Terramite until I saw some YouTube videos. The first thing that turned me off was the incessant sound of the hydraulic system. It was louder than the engine. Then I noticed that when the FEL was picking up a load the rear tires lost traction easily. It is my opinion that no compact tractor with an FEL should be without 4WD. It does not matter how much weight the FEL can lift if the tractor does not have enough traction to get under that weight. When moving over even slightly uneven terrain the front wheels seem to flop around because of little weight in the front. When going up a slight incline it seemed the Terramite could barely make it. There is not enough swing to the backhoe to drop a load far enough out of way. I have read the opinions of the Terramite in this forum, but take a look at the videos and see for yourselves. I am sure that those who own a Terramite it meets their needs, but I have decided to purchase a used backhoe attachment and install it on my reliable, heavy, four wheel drive John Deere 4610.

OK, so why come on here and run down the terramite brand. If you need something larger to fit your needs the Backhoe attachment for your deer should suit you fine. Peaple don't seem to understand that the terramite's are not full sized backhoe's. What some also don't understand is just how much work these Mighty little machine's can do. I can tell you that I own full sized tractors and I am blown away at just how much my terramite can handle and at how hard it works for its size. Like the old saying says Dynamite come's in small packages.

/ Some Thoughts on the Terramite #3  
If that 4610 is like most tractors, make sure the backhoe comes with a subframe. You don't even want to know what a cracked transaxle will cost should you crack one.

/ Some Thoughts on the Terramite #4  
a terramite works good for small jobs. mfd would be an advantage using a loader but a add on backhoe doesn't compare .