Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C #1  
Tractor
Terramite T5B / T5C
I have a 1993 Terramite T5C with a power steering problem. The Kingpins are working correctly however there seems to be no hydraulic power to the steering cylinder from the pump. I can steer the tractor using the steering wheel however it is slow and difficult to operate the steering wheel. I can do this with the engine running or not running. This tells me that the steering box and power steering cylinder are working correctly.

I called the Terramite Service Dept. and was told that it probably was the Adapter Plate in the transmission and that the cost would be something in the area of $400.

I would like to hear from others who may have had this problem and would like to know if they were able to solve this without the expense of this part. Is some sort of repair or alternate hydraulic circuitry possible?

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C #3  
I put a quick connect on one of my stabilizer valves, I plug supply line to steering system from there, When I need stabilizer I simply disconnect power steering connection and then connect stabilizer.

Works fine, just need to set up something to keep valve partially open when running power steering, I used a door latch, cut a notch to keep valve held open partially, when not needed I flip it up out of the way.\

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C
Thanks for your input. It looks to me like you did pretty much what I was wondering about.

My thought was that it should be possible to put a "T" on the output side of the pump at whatever location might be convenient, somewhere between the pump and either the loader or backhoe valve bodies. From that "T" run a line to another "T" or maybe a direct line to the input side of the power steering. What you describe has the same effect as what I was thinking.

My concern is whether the main side of the hydraulic pump puts out more pressure than the power steering circuit can tolerate.

Do any of the readers know what the maximum output pressure of the main hydraulic system and the maximum output pressure of the power steering port on the pump might be?

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C #5  
You will run into a problem if you t off the supply, it is an open loop system so the fluid is going to take the path of least resistance, it will not be enough pressure to work the power steering cylinder. You can t into the return line but need a dedicated power supply, that is why I went to the stabilizer valve.

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C #6  
The tractor I did it on did not have power steering at all, I installed a power steering system from another tractor. On your terramite does the supply line to power steering valve come out the bottom of the charge pump?

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C #7  
did you ever figure this out? I just picked up another Mite and the power steering is out. I haven't dug into it yet...

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C
did you ever figure this out? I just picked up another Mite and the power steering is out. I haven't dug into it yet...

Sorry, I have not gone any further than calling Terramite. They suggested that the probable problem part would be something that they call the "adapter plate" The cost of which is $450. For now I am living with the steering being hard as it is and will probably take the power steering pump apart in the Spring. I am hoping that after an inspection I am able to make a repair and if not then it looks like I will be buying the part I need from what I am hoping will be another source at a lower price.

I have another T5C with working power steering and the difference is really day and night but even without the power steering working, the machine is still a little work horse.

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C #9  
I am going to try and call Terramite tomorrow hopefully. I started another separate post on here about this as well. I also asked in the hydraulics forum. Funny, I also have two machines and it is night and day with working power steering.

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C #10  
Cstamm81, I'm with you on the other thread, esp if you'll keep me in line.

Terramite Connecticut
, please keep an eye on us there. There doesn't seem that much to the adapter plate unless it's leaking/bypassing internally. Could a dab of weld & some light machining close a gap worn somewhere? # 58 on p 2.10 is called 'poppet filter relief' (pt # varies by gas/diesel). It's at the the upper corner of the plate, on the side not the one on top. Could plugging &/or a jam there be hindering flow to the steering box?? Oil can get between the wire mesh and inner layer of a hose causing it to balloon inward and block flow. Checking that might not be as easy as swapping one out. btw: TSCs here seem to stock hoses to T-M's specs with the right end threads & at several lengths. They must be common stuff ...