Backhoe Kohler vs Honda T5C

/ Kohler vs Honda T5C #1  

Pacifictimes

Tractor
Terramite T5C
I own a 2001 T5C - engine hours are now closing in on 2500. For about 8 hours work I tend to go through most of a quart of motor oil. For the price of a new engine vs not being able to do a job and loose maybe 25% of the value of a new motor for every job loss makes me think I should be putting my now mostly worn motor on the shelf as a back up and put a new one in getting ready for next Spring. My question which way should I go, presently have a 20 hp Honda. Also wondering about looking into if I can get a couple more hp motor to fit and be a benifit? Please give my your pros/cons Thanks Dave

/ Kohler vs Honda T5C #2  
Your pump's capacity can be as limiting as your horsepower, so practical options may be narrow as well. Dealers are scant on details per model, but Honda does offer those that include the remote throttle & choke, 12v starter & 20a charging, and opp-end pto access thru the shroud's screen, pretty much a 'drop-in' for a T5C. A guy would have to do little more than swap mufflers to re-power. (~$1500 or less)

GX-620 has been superceded by GX-630, but a torquier GX-690 should bolt right up as well. My T5C/GX620's problem is poor starting, most likely due to long rests between firing it up, and I've pondered a replacement as it's showing its age. Terramite's clever design allows easy access, and my motor comes out in an hour or so. Maybe the simplest upgrade is the best for us anyway, without the extra effort or homemade parts to hook up. btw: Having fussed with valve train wear & breakdowns on so many Kohler V-twins I'd surely stick with Honda power, myself. Hope this helps...

/ Kohler vs Honda T5C
Really great point of the pump limit, well taken!! I have been studying the GX690 and am really leaning on it, do believe I will go this way. I am a believer in Honda stuff, very proven history. Thank you very much for your time and thoughts.
Dave

/ Kohler vs Honda T5C #4  
Ok.this thread has been dead for a little more than 2 years ..
has anybody done an engine change with something other than the command 20 ? ?
Gx690. ? What did you do about mounting a flywheel pto?
Or the shaft sticking out the other end ?
any good online Honda shops out there ?

/ Kohler vs Honda T5C #5  
This thread had led to member Pacifictimes re-powering his T5C with one small detail to be addressed. Among other differences between the newer & older GXs was a switch from 'ground to stop' to 'ground to run' ignition. The former requires an 'M' terminal (grounds magneto in 'off' pos) on the ignition switch that's unneeded with the new models. (I use a relay with a simpler ign switch to get the same w/my GX620, it came to me that way tho' not wired properly)

What seems to be missing from Honda's lineup is the 'reverse takeoff' models with the fan inlet screen trimmed (holed-out) accordingly for TM's pump/rotation and flywheel-drive config. I checked SEW, TEW, and even Honda's SE websites. Either they use a stock picture and leave out the feature from their specs, or the type is no longer available. (IIRC it was QAF-something, but not sure after all this time).

I suggest calling one of the above to see what's up, and what's available.
Home - Small Engine Warehouse 800-721-6725
TulsaEngineWarehouse.com - Replacement Engines, Parts, Tools & Accessories For Briggs & Stratton, Honda, Kawasaki, Kohler & Tecumseh 918-770-0186

'PT' was digging away last time we communicated. He did go with the GX690, more for 'reserve' power rather than a felt need. I'd be glad to go into this further with another member, so PM me if you can use a helper. tog

btw: converting from Kohler to Honda might not be simple, but I'm sure it's do-able. ;)

/ Kohler vs Honda T5C #6  
Thanks for the info...

I got a magnum 20 that's on its way out the door...
and if I'm going to do a motor change I would like to put something better in it .

/ Kohler vs Honda T5C #7  
A few bits among the paraphernalia under the hood are specific to whichever original power option. Going again with Kohler should be the easy way to match-up the details and simplify a re-power. btw: After mulling a bit, it could have been 'QAX' that designated Honda's 'drop fit' offering that may be going away, esp if T-Ms were a big part of their application.

Mounting bolt patterns, shaft diameters, etc should be the same on newer Kohlers. Many are cataloged as "replacement for JD XXX", etc but I haven't seen Terramite among such info. Shouldn't take much scrounging, perhaps a call to Kohler or a major provider, to clarify any specifics that would apply.

Be sure to let us know how your project is going. One of us has likely tinkered with any aspect you'll confront, and as they say, "it doesn't hurt to ask". Pics will get you extra 'points' of approval, as always. ;)