Loss of power steering T5C

/ Loss of power steering T5C #1  

cstamm81

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Mahindra 3016HST, Kubota F2880
I just picked up a t5c with a factory 3 point instead of a hoe. It has been rode hard and put away wet but seems to be mostly minor issues. The biggest is the power steering, there isn't any. Past owner tells me as the machine really warms up it gets easier to steer.
It steers as hard with the tractor running as it does with the tractor off. I disconnected the steer cylinder to make sure there was nothing binding in the front end. With the cylinder hanging and tractor running the cylinder extends and retracts, but still very hard. Engine off it still takes as much effort to turn the wheel as while running, yet the cylinder still extends and retracts even while not running.
I do not see any obvious kinks in lines, but I do not fully understand how the steering box channels hydraulic fluid to the cylinder. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/ Loss of power steering T5C #2  
Congrats on the new purchase! I am just learning about these Terramites so I am not any help. Hopefully some one can help. I would be very interested in what is causing you problem.
Another area to check on your Terramite is the connection between the hydraulic motor and you rear transaxle. There are 4 bolts on this connection, my po had put to small undersized bolts with nuts ith no locks washers. Two bolts were missing and two were almost falling off. Two of the bolt holes have been damaged due to them being loose. Check yours to make sure it is in good shape. Enjoy your new purchase!

/ Loss of power steering T5C
I feel there has to be some fluid getting to the cylinder as that is the only explanation as to why it will extend / retract. I am not too experienced with hydraulics, but I know some basics. I am guessing there is not enough flow getting to the cylinder. I suppose it could be a pinched or blocked line. I read in another Terramite thread where the guy was told by Terramite to replace a $400 part in the trans, so I am hoping that is not the case.
It's funny you mention those bolts from the pump to the rear end. I noticed evidence of someone being in there, upon closer inspection someone broke off two of the four mounting ears. They put oversize washers to hold it in place, ghetto fix. In looking over some other things, it looks like this tractor has been torn apart pretty extensively and put back together half ***. Also looks like someone decided to weld as many parts as they could just for fun.

/ Loss of power steering T5C #4  
Yep two of the four mounting ears on mine are broke.....at least they tried to fix yours, mine had bolts about 2/3 the size they were supposed to be on the 2 good ears......both were barely hanging on.....I am going to repair mine like they did yours till my part comes in.....

Hopefully your steering issue is NOT the $400 problem!

are you going to replace the entire pump (torque motor I beleive they call it)? The ears look like they are part of the pump to me. I am not happy with how they "fixed" it but it does seem to have been done awhile ago. I am curious if this pump and the main pump are off the shelf parts from the manufacturer, or if Terramite modifies them for their machines.

/ Loss of power steering T5C #6  
The companion flange is a Dana/spicer part. 2-1-1881x is the assembly, but you can buy the parts 2-1-1871 and the add the other piece is called a slinger- spicer part number 15099 to make the assembly. Pretty sure this is a Dana 44 rear axle- maybe someone can confirm this. If you do replace the flange make sure you use loctite on the bolts. Sounds like they have a tendency to work their way loose.

I have placed an order for the 1871 and the slinger 15099.....shipped to my door for $205. It is pricey, but my land is 25 miles from my house, it would be a big deal to break down and having to work on it down there.

I am wondering if we are looking at the same thing. Are the Dana parts bolted right to the Torque motor? The ears that are broken on mine are the cast iron ones right on the torque motor. I am assuming you mean parts that interface between the Dana rear and the Ross torque motor? Although, I hope I am wrong because I would be tempted to repair this properly for $200.
Please take pic when you get the parts and start tearing into it. I will try to get pics of where mine are broken next time I work on it.

/ Loss of power steering T5C #8  
danacompanionflangepicture.jpgHere is a shot from under the tractor. You can see the two parts have seperated and the bolts are loose. Bottom of the picture is the dana rear end. Note no brakes at all. Another piece that will need to be taken care of.
Too dirty to get a good shot.....got to get it pressure washed this weekend. You can tell the po had several leaks and did not take the time to fix them. I will slowly get them done.

ya mine is broken at the ears on the pump side.

/ Loss of power steering T5C #10  
My ears are broken on the axle side? Once my part arrives, I will post a picture. Still looking for a "used" source for them.