Things to look for when buying a Terramite

/ Things to look for when buying a Terramite #1  

sacsr

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 187D Terramite T5C Bush Hog D4-10
Thought we could start a post where we share things we found to look for when buying.

I have been working on mine updating and refreshing things my previous owner did not do or chose to cut corners to do it.

With the deck cover off today, I noticed the bolts on my hydraulic rear motor was loose and it was moving every time I went forward or back. Make sure these bolts are tight. I suspect this is something you should check several times a year. image.jpg

Also check the companion flange ( where the hydraulic motor attaches to the rear transmission)- make sure the bolts are tight and the ears are not broken. This is another item you need to periodically check to make sure these bolts are tight. image.jpg the cost of the companion flange and slinger parts will be around $205 to $250 dollars.

Last edited:
   / Things to look for when buying a Terramite #2  
Thanks for posting this. I think this will be very helpfull.

/ Things to look for when buying a Terramite
IMG_1850.jpg

Here is a picture of the companion flange and the slinger. These parts will run around $200 to $255. You can buy them seperately or as a package. When I get the time, I will replace my damaged ones. I will go ahead and use new bolts when I do replace them, you need to buy grade 8 24 fine - probably 1 1/4 inch is my guess on length. Make sure you use something to help keep the bolts from coming loose.

/ Things to look for when buying a Terramite
Found another thing to look for today. I noticed my front hydraulic lift's rod is slightly bent......it is not leaking so that is a plus......not a deal breaker but if the seller was asking a premium, would be something to negotiate on. Only way to see this is to fully extend the rod out of the cylinder.....

I had the chance to operate the Case 648 back hoe today. I am sure it has its strengths, but I am glad I bought my terramite. The Terramite is slightly larger and seems to sit higher off the ground. I also like the roll over protection bar that the Terramite has. Not knocking the 648. Just the Terramite size fits my need better.