Tractor
    terramite T5C, bolens g152

Default charging system doesn't work

I have a 1995 or so T5C with a honda. Just got done rebuilding some cylinders, changing a few lines, making all the pins take grease, and rebuilding the front axle from hub to hub. Previous owner did no/zero maintenance

Anyway, my honda doesn't charge the battery. The wiring harness is a wreck, i would rewire it, but time is limited right now and i just need to get it charging for the winter. Does someone have a schematic for this unit or what wire colors do what?

I read around the web trying to figure out how the hondas charge, but couldn't really find what i wanted, but another question came up. Does terramite use a 20 amp or 3 amp charging system?

Thanks Jim

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: charging system doesn't work

Murph ------------

Tractor
    Yanmar 187D Terramite T5C Bush Hog D4-10

Welcome Pontiac58 to the forum. I am not sure about the Honda. I would call the Terramite service department. I have had good luck with Eric. He is very knowledgable about these Terramites and suspect he will be able to give you a quick answer.
    I understand having a Terramite whose previous owner did NO maintenance.....I have spent hours doing the same thing.....I still have a few pins not taking grease.
    Good luck getting it charging!
    Scott

Yanmar 187D QT1840 FEL
    Terramite T5C 1996
    Bush Hog D4-10
    Bush Hog HD-12

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM186d,John Deere 1050, Case 211B

Google "terramite t5c parts" and there is everything,wiring diagram and all.Look up what model honda you have-GX620? and it probably has 17 or 20 amp.FREE parts manual-color coded wires and all.
    JD1050,YM186D,Case211B,Homemade- sawmill & log splitter & log hauling arch trailer
    JD14T,Ford 532 balers,
    AC 80-R3,Ford 501 sickle mowers
    2.1 KW Off-grid Solar System and growing

Tractor

Thanks for the tip on the wiring diagram. I had the parts catalog printed out, just never went past the parts section. I found at least part of the problem. The diagram calls for a 5 terminal switch and mine is a four terminal and the brown wire isn't hooked to anything. It got dark out before i could finish but what does the brown wire do???
    bolens g152, terramite t5c

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM186d,John Deere 1050, Case 211B

It looks like the brown wire is the Kill wire-to shut off engine.It would go to ground through the switch.Be carefull that you don't send positive through that wire-might blow the ignition coil(s) Been there,done that! It is also tied to the low oil kill.
    You probably are going to need a new voltage reg. If you try to charge a dead battery,they burn out.If your battery is low enough that you have to jump it-charge it up,don't jump it.
    I see it has a fuel shut-off solenoid on the carb,and that is probably what shuts it down now.
    JD1050,YM186D,Case211B,Homemade- sawmill & log splitter & log hauling arch trailer
    JD14T,Ford 532 balers,
    AC 80-R3,Ford 501 sickle mowers
    2.1 KW Off-grid Solar System and growing

Tractor

Now that you said that, it does take its time shutting off. Hopefully it isn't too cold out this weekend and i will be able to get outside with it for a few hours.
    bolens g152, terramite t5c