Backhoe Steering wheel

/ Steering wheel #1  

t5cmonster

Tractor
1997 Terramite T5C
Good monring! I need to take the steering column and power steering box out of my T5C and apart (leaking)
Does anyone have ideas on getting the steering wheel off? What a real pain!

Last edited:
   / Steering wheel #2  
Have not looked at the hub on the Terramite steering wheel, but on most cars, you need a steering wheel puller. Usually, the wheel has a couple of threaded holes in the hub area that the puller screws into. The your just tighten the center of the puller against the top of the steering shaft and the wheel pops off. If the Terramite doesn't have the threaded holes, you can probably try a gear puller.

Check your local auto parts store. Sometimes they have loaners of these things.

/ Steering wheel
Thanks. The steering wheel does not have the holes so I'll check on a gear puller.

/ Steering wheel #4  
Had to pull the column on my old manual steering B, then put whole assembly in a vise. The fine vibrations from small cheap air chisels are amazing at freeing frozen parts, with less damage than a big hammer.

/ Steering wheel #5  
I have one leaking to. So as you repair this keep us informed as to how you do this. Thanks big dan

/ Steering wheel
I talked to Terramite and they told me for my machine (97 T5C) either I could buy a steering assembly conversion kit ($700) or replace the face seal for $40. I chose the seal of course. They told me to take out the entire steering column with steering wheel and when I'm ready to make the change to call them and ask to speak with a service rep. It went slowly but with the reps help finally got it and put back together. I bolted it back into the machine and it works with no leaks. The worst thing was the hoses which are a pain to remove and put back on.

/ Steering wheel #7  
In most cases the wheel is held onto a taper shaft with a largish nut.
Loosen the nut until flush with the last thread and whack that nut with a solid hammer blow hitting the nut square on so as not to damage threads.
Generally the wheel will pop loose on the first whack.

/ Steering wheel
Thank you very much for the info.

/ Steering wheel #9  
Hi Matt,
Why did you pull the old manual steering box? I have a 1991 and having steering problems. It doesn't steer at all now?
Bob

/ Steering wheel #10  
Last edited: