What do you do if . . . . .

/ What do you do if . . . . . #1  

Alan7s

Silver Member
Tractor
Terramite T5C
you're going next door in your tractor and on the short piece of road, the engine dies. Not out of gas or some obvious problem.
Since there's no "neutral" you can't tow it; being hydrostatic type drive, the wheels are locked when the engine isn't running, right?
Are there any tricks to know or are the options repair it right there or somehow get it up onto a trailer. Had a situation similar
to this yesterday and thought maybe someone out there has some answers.

/ What do you do if . . . . . #2  
There's a neutral position, out two on my hydro. Or what about having someone (or a block of wood) hold the clutch in while you pull it?

/ What do you do if . . . . .
Mine has no clutch and no gear shift lever (Terramite T5C) - just a foot pedal - one way goes forward, one way goes back.

/ What do you do if . . . . . #4  
That's a common problem with hydrostat transmissions on construction equipment too

Not sure which trans pump they use.....some Sauer Sunstrand Series 15 pumps have a manual valve that is turned 90 degrees to give you a by-pass to pull onto a trailer

On some equipment a by-pass hose needs to be made to connect the two fittings on the hydraulic drive motors (and another to connect the two fittings on the hyd pump) ....... some drive motors have adjustable cartridge valves that need to be backed out (to allow the flow to by-pass thru the base plate)

/ What do you do if . . . . . #6  
BTW, that's an Eaton/Cessna hydrostat pump....:thumbsup:

Many thanks wdchyd for that. Every owner ought to know where that valve is to be ready when trouble occurs. Not knowing the above info, I had quite a job jacking up each wheel, putting planks under and then roller pipes under each plank and then pushing it with the ole Willys. Didn't have far to go, but if I had known the above, I could have saved a lot of time and work. Thanks again.

/ What do you do if . . . . . #8  
Yes, it's a good thing to know......also if the valve is stuck, it can be removed cleaned, greased and new oring and you'll be good to go.....sometimes this valve gets rusted and stuck from not being used

Curious...do they show it on the owners manual?

I don't believe it's in the owners manual but I do see it on 2.10 of the parts manual - just as you said. Can't quite make out if it's operated by a screwdriver (slot) or a wrench (sq or hex) but I'm going looking for it today. Probably under that diamond plate in front of the seat?

/ What do you do if . . . . . #10  
Yes the pump is located under that plate in front of the seat. Hope you get it going. Any idea what happened to the engine?