terramite neutral pedal spring T3-15

/ terramite neutral pedal spring T3-15 #1  

Alexhasson

Bronze Member
Tractor
Terramite t3-15
well i need a spring but was shocked to see $41 + shipping for 1 spring... anyone have this issue or have a source for a reasonably priced spring?

/ terramite neutral pedal spring T3-15 #2  
Unfortunatly everything I have ever bought directly from Terramite has been Way overpriced. Their Shipping and handling is sky high as well. They charged me $22.00 shipping and handling to send a couple of decals. I think I read that they have done away with the handling charge now, so that should help some. If you find a alternative source for the springs let us know. I have been wanting to get a spare for mine but I don't want to spend that much for one, if I don't have to.

/ terramite neutral pedal spring T3-15
ok so i have more then a worn spring issue. I found a very close replacement. did a comparison and i think i have additional concerns.

first off, new or old spring the spring doesn't even start to feel pressure and you can go in either direction. it's not until you press it all the way in one direction does the spring provide any resistence. I think the two posts that mount the spring have excessive wear on them but honestly it's the only thing i can think of.

anyway here are some pics.

the new spring ($10 at ACE hardware), wire diameter is a hair thinker. outside diameter is a little larger and inside diameter is .01 larger but really it felt the same as the old spring.

I measured and cut it down to match. I left half a coil to firm it up a little.

note the mouting pin on the right. it would make sense to me that this shouldn't be tapered so much. it's this taper that allows the tractor to drive prior to the spring being involved at all.

thoughts?

/ terramite neutral pedal spring T3-15 #4  
Your setup for your Tractor is different then mine. Mine has a totally different type of spring. I take it that one end of the spring go's on the stud on the bottom of the block, but what does the other end of the spring fasten to? The tapered stud does look to be worn. Do you have a picture of the pedal assembly with the spring attached?

here's a picture from when i first bought the tractor prior to pressure washing.

the stud in teh previous picture is on the bottom of the pedal under the shaft. then the other stud is on the floor between the forks.

/ terramite neutral pedal spring T3-15 #6  
After seeing the picture I believe you are right. The pins are probably getting worn and the spring is not putting enough tension on the pedal shaft to bring it back to a neutral position. I don't see any kind of tension adjustment for the spring. Is there any way to adjust the tension? Or does the spring just sit between the 2 pins?

Last edited:
   / terramite neutral pedal spring T3-15 #7  
You could put some weld on the pins and then grind them back to round. Or cut them off and weld on new pins.

I agree that new pins will make a difference. I checked and a 1/2" bolt fits pretty well in the old spring, I think the new spring needs a 5/8" stud to be snug. I'm currently thinking about cutting off the old stud and welding in female threads so i can screw in the studs. not sure it's worth my time so i may just weld in studs. once i finish the garden planting i'll be onto the stud project. it would be nice for it ot go to neutral if I take my foot off the pedal

well i made the change and it had only a little effect.

I believe now that I may have other binding issues. I'll check the bearing assembly next and it may even be the transmission. Both the old spring and the new spring preformed the same. the assembly is simply too stiff and this was much more noticable when testing by hand instead of stepping on it. it's difficult to push in any direction with no spring attached so teh spring isn't going to help re center it anyhow.

but i have a new stud on the pedal at least so i got thet going for me which is nice.

/ terramite neutral pedal spring T3-15 #10  
Hopefully it is the bearing. That would be a easy fix. At least you have a new spring and stud so if it is the bearing you can change it and will be good to go. Let us know what you find out.