Someone with some hoe experience . . .

/ Someone with some hoe experience . . . #1  

Alan7s

Silver Member
Tractor
Terramite T5C
could maybe advise about this. Most of the pins and bores on the T5C backhoe boom are pretty tight but the one that attaches the boom to the swing bracket at the base allows more slop than seems right. When I had it apart and checked, the pin is in good shape without visible wear, grooves etc. But in the bore I see bushings. Probably these have worn allowing side to side wobble. A machinist friend says I could order oversized rod and he would machine it to size without the bushings. Or, we could replace the bushings. Do these need to be pressed in i.e., removal of the whole business? Are there different qualities or are bushings pretty standard material? There must be a better way to go; just don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has been through this. Thanks

/ Someone with some hoe experience . . . #2  
ya going to need to drill out the messed up holes (out of shapped / oval) that would be first thing.

get yourself a caliper, to take measurements of holes and see what is the widest diameter all the holes are. assuming 4 holes (2 in bracket, 2 in boom connection).
and seeing if you can use different size bushings or if ya need to go to a bigger pin all together.

check for grease fittings, to see what you want to do as well. that might change what options you choose to go with.

the bracket the boom goes into, the bottom bracket may be bent down and at an angle. and vice vs for the upper bracket.

/ Someone with some hoe experience . . .
ya going to need to drill out the messed up holes (out of shapped / oval) that would be first thing.

get yourself a caliper, to take measurements of holes and see what is the widest diameter all the holes are. assuming 4 holes (2 in bracket, 2 in boom connection).
and seeing if you can use different size bushings or if ya need to go to a bigger pin all together.

check for grease fittings, to see what you want to do as well. that might change what options you choose to go with.

the bracket the boom goes into, the bottom bracket may be bent down and at an angle. and vice vs for the upper bracket.

OK thanks Boggen. Since he can machine a pin to any size, I'm guessing a larger pin with no bushings is better than a standard pin with bushings?

/ Someone with some hoe experience . . . #4  
Worn bushings are easier to replace/repair than the whole arm/receiver.

/ Someone with some hoe experience . . . #5  
Those bushings are there as the weaker link (wear item) and are necessary to avoid a more major repair in the future, you will want to use new bushings or bore those out to accommodate your new shaft size, if there is still ample wall thickness to do so and allow for future wear.

/ Someone with some hoe experience . . .
Those bushings are there as the weaker link (wear item) and are necessary to avoid a more major repair in the future, you will want to use new bushings or bore those out to accommodate your new shaft size, if there is still ample wall thickness to do so and allow for future wear.

Are you saying that there would have been bushings even on the machine when new? I surely don't want to remove something that needs to be there. BTW it's a 2000 T5C.