4x4 models

/ 4x4 models #1  

Efis

Tractor
Allmand 35D(tlb535),Gravely pro 16,5665
Hi. looking to buy compact tlb for my business. Does anyone have experience with the 4wd terramite or allmand? The 4wd models seem to be rare. I ran a 2 wheel drive allmand for a couple of days last year and was impressed with the traction and the machine overall, but would like to consider 4wd. One of the attractions of these machines is we often have to cross finished lawns and it would seem that it would be less destructive than a skid steer due to lighter weight and wheeled steering. Wondering if 4wd changes that much? Are you able to shift from 4wd to 2wd or is it on all the time?
Appreciate any info, thanks!

/ 4x4 models #2  
honestly not familiar with terramite brand.

when you get down into the SCUT (sub compact utility tractors) you get into a ugly comparison of things, from model to model to manufacture to manufacture (even model to model within same manufacture). due to over all "space being very limited" various things may be extremely basic version, vs what you might see in a CUT (compact utility tractor) or bigger size tractors.

most of the major brand manufactures have some sort of TLB (tractor loader backhoe) and some get down to the SCUT (sub compact utilty tractor) other words you have a riding lawn mower, then a bigger size riding mower, normally referred to as a "garden tractor" and then ya jump into SCUT's, which is basically a little bit larger riding lawn mower, with a FEL (Front end loader) and possibly a 3pt hitch backhoe option (hopefully with a sub frame), there is a grayish area in the bigger SCUTs to smaller size CUT's, were the frame work gets away from a riding lawn mower like frame, and everything gets jacked up off the ground, for more ground clearance. and normally additional weight as well comes with it. the frame and weight, are generally the "pluses" of what many folks will generally want to some degree if doing everything but mowing with tractor., and then do some trading off with say R4 / industrial tires. (wide tires) kinda a mix between turf tires and R1 / AG tires. to help deal with leaving ruts in the yard / lawn.

being your first post, i would say, make a new thread in the "buying/comparison" forum, and asking for SCUT recommendations. and give some details of what you will be using tractor for. so folks might be able to point you to this or that unit better.

/ 4x4 models #3  
I believe that the terramite 4x4's front tires are run from the hydro pump like the rear's. That would make it a full time 4x4. I have a 2 wheel drive model and it gets around really well. I live in very sandy soil and have never had a problem with it getting stuck. Mine has the wide tires on the back which really helps with traction. The only time I have had a problem with traction is going backwards up hill with a load in the front bucket. To solve this I just scoop a full scoop of dirt in the backhoe bucket to add some extra weight to the rear.

/ 4x4 models #4  
I have a 4WD CUT and notice that on lawns when in 4 WD that I tend to tear up the grass and worst in turns.
The main reason being that the fronts always have about a 5% lead over the rears.
The reason quoted is that the smaller fronts wear faster so mfgs add that 5% to compensate.

/ 4x4 models
Thanks for the info. How realistic are the lift ratings for the fel. That is another attraction, very high for it s size and weight. I assume that is due to plenty of counter weight with the backhoe. Can it lift a fair amount of weight and still have enough traction to drive? Thanks!

/ 4x4 models #6  
I have had my 2004 T9 for about 4 years. It is a 2wd, but I have only gotten stuck once and that was in a a bit of a mud bog after a rain. Not much of a problem, since I was able to use the loader and backhoe to lift myself out. I wouldn't worry about 4wd. The loader and the backhoe are probably conservative in their ratings. I have lifted a 1000 gallon propane tank, partly full, with the loader. Have also carried a 16 inch trunk fir tree (the whole tree) on forks for over 75 yards, without a single problem. Buckets full of gravel are an easy lift and transport.

The backhoe is powerful enough to move the T9 when digging, even when is it properly positioned. About the only shortcoming of the Terramites is the slow travel speed. Moving a pile of debris from the back of my lot to a dumpster on the street, about 200 feet was a really slow process.

You will also find the Terramites are pretty bullet proof and easy to maintain or fix. Drop something on the hood and it bounces off, drop the same on any tractor I know and you have a dented hood. Terramite has also been excellent in responding to my phone calls to ask repair or maintenance questions. After nearly 1000 hours of use, beside normal maintenance, I have replaced the hour meter, one flown hose, one leaky fitting and the fuel filters. Also put new teeth on the backhoe bucket. I can probably sell it today for what I paid for it when I bought it used four years ago.

Hope this helps your decision.

Remember, I am talking about the T9, with a Kubota diesel, not the smaller T5 with the gas engines. Don't know much about them.

/ 4x4 models
Terrasteve, it sounds like you are correct in that the 4wd is fulltime. I think that will cause more damage than it would be worth for my application. If I need 4x4 for a job I have access to skid loaders. The one thing I missed when using the allmand was steering brakes but I assume they are not feasible with the limited slip axel? anyone load tires? Appeciate you input, the one I rented has been sold and I don t know others to check put in person. Thanks

/ 4x4 models
Thanks for the input CarlL, definitely helps my decision. I would prefer the diesel models. I have had a couple of Kubota engines in the past and they were great. The Terramite and Allmand seem very similar in design. The 25hp allmand uses a Kubota and the 35 hp is an izuzu, no experience with izuzu but seems to be rated highly. The allmand I rented had 25 hp kohler, it did great but would bog down on hills, which we have plenty. I would imagine the diesel would provide more torque. How much weight will the hoe lift? could it sling a 400-500lb rock on occasion or is that unrealistic? thanks again for everyones input!

/ 4x4 models #9  
The T5C will lift 700 pounds with the hoe. The larger T7 and T9 will lift 1000 pounds with the hoe. They truly are mighty little machine's.

/ 4x4 models
They surely do seem to be mighty. You guys are really making me want one. Anyone have thoughts on Allmand vs terramite? They seem very similar. The only differences I have come up with is the Allmand has larger hydraulic pump and some of the older terramite hoes do not wing 180. I am actively looking on line, if anyone has a lead on one let me know. There is a good chance I will end up buying one from far away and ship it so I d be interested regardless of location. I figure I have all winter to hunt for one. Thanks!