Oil & Fuel HELP!!

/ HELP!! #1  

samt5c

Tractor
Terramite T5C
I bought a worn out T5C a year or so ago that was going to be a "project" for me. I know as much about machinery as I know how to work on the space shuttle. I do have a friend that has helped a lot. The motor that was on it was a gravity fed fuel system and I bought a new Briggs and it has a fuel pump on it. After much aggravation and numerous oil changes due to gas getting into the oil I have finally figure out that the gravity fed system isn't going to work with the fuel pump. My question is this. Can I make a gas cap some way with a fuel line going down through the gas cap and let the engine pump the fuel out? Like I said earlier when it comes to machinery I am just as lost as a goose in a hail storm. Thanks for any and all answers.

/ HELP!! #2  
Yea you can do that but it sounds to more like you have a carburetor problem. Specifically float and needle seat.

/ HELP!!
Jim thanks for the reply. Would the float and needle seat cause the engine not to run? Each time after changing the oil I can get it started and it runs for a very brief period of time and then it's obvious that gas is in the oil so I just shut it down then. Is this float and needle seat something I can tackle myself? Thanks!

/ HELP!! #5  
you say you bought a new briggs. does that mean "new" new, or new to you.
I ask because there could be striations in the carb tubes that also cause this but it would need to be a used engine. the carb seat is also a good answer. one quick test to confirm is to install a simple gas shut off valve ( not a good long term fix). turn the gas off after every use, and monitor for fuel in the oil.
also if it's new, call the dealer you bought it from and check any warranty that may be available, if it's the seat it's unlikely the warranty will cover dirty gas issues.

side question, does the gas hydrolock the engine or is it not sitting in the cylinder at all?

/ HELP!! #6  
Sounds like carb needle and float as it was stated above seems to happen a lot with new Briggs engines. What I do is get a small fuel line for a chain saw and hook to needle put some tooth paste on neoprene tip and lap needle valve into seat. Clean it up should fix problem. As a Briggs dealer I had to do that a lot on new engines. Don't laugh it works.
sam

/ HELP!! #7  
Sounds like carb needle and float as it was stated above seems to happen a lot with new Briggs engines. What I do is get a small fuel line for a chain saw and hook to needle put some tooth paste on neoprene tip and lap needle valve into seat. Clean it up should fix problem. As a Briggs dealer I had to do that a lot on new engines. Don't laugh it works.
sam