Terramite T9 General Usage Questions

/ Terramite T9 General Usage Questions #1  

scot74

Tractor
Terramite T9
I am a total novice with both diesel engines and backhoe\loaders and want to learn from you guys. Thanks to TerraSteve for all the help so far.

I am posting some general questions that you might laugh at but please be patient.

General usage:
1. After starting the diesel, should I let it idle for a while before putting it to work?
2. While driving around *without* a load should it be at idle or somewhere in the middle? We won't be breaking any sound barriers either way. Ha!
3. How often should I change the motor oil in a Kubota D1105 Turbo Diesel? Does it tend to look a little dirty in a diesel anyway?
4. If I decide to take a 15-30 minute break is it better to shut off the engine or let it run at idle?
5. Is it ok to run Sea Foam through the engine for cleaning purposes?
6. When using the backhoe should the loader be on the ground and slightly lifting the front end off the ground? This backhoe is a little beast and will pull the tractor around with outriggers down, as soon as it will dig a hole.

Hydraulic Questions:
1. Where can I get kits to repack cylinders? I want to be able to do it myself and would rather have parts on hand than run myself ragged looking for them.
2. I saw mention of a spanner wrench but what kind and where can I get one?
3. I think the manual recommends changing fluid\filter every 300hrs. I did it and felt like I was wasting my money because what I drained looked as good as what I put in it. I saw NOTHING of note in either the filter or the fluid itself, at all. What do you guys say?

Attachments:
1. Has anyone seen fork attachments for the bucket?

Thanks again everyone!
Scot

/ Terramite T9 General Usage Questions #2  
I bought these clamp on forks from a company called titan. They work Great for moving pallets, logs, and brush. I think they were around $170.00 with the cross brace. They install or can be removed in less than a minute. They also have pockets to put some stakes in for added roll back protection or brush hauling. They have slots to chain them around the bucket for added lifting strength. I have never had to chain them on, they work great just clamped on. These are rated at 1500 pounds lifting capacity.

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    670.4 KB · Views: 1,045
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    654.3 KB · Views: 1,205
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    538.9 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
   / Terramite T9 General Usage Questions #3  
You can buy repack kits from Terramite. They also sell the spanner tool. Sometimes you can find repack kits on ebay as well. Mine is Gas but I do own other small diesel engines. My John deer mower has a 3 cylinder yanmar diesel. I have noticed that as soon as I change the oil it does not take long for it to get dirty looking. I change the oil once per mowing season and clean the air filter often. I like to let it warm up a little on the first start up of the day. As for the hydro oil I changed mine when I first got it. The oil I dumped looked brand new. Not sure how long the previous owner had it in there but it looked good. Terramite says change every 300 hours. When I dig with the hoe I allways plant the loader firmly to the ground lifting the front end a little, and also plant the rear arms firmly lifting the rear up a little as well. These things are very powerful and will pull the machine around easily if you don't.

Steve

/ Terramite T9 General Usage Questions
Thanks again Steve! Great information...really great. Those forks look solid and at $170 it is well worth it, no doubt.

Steve, what type of grease do the terramites require for the grease fittings?

/ Terramite T9 General Usage Questions #6  
I like the lucas oil Red N Tacky #2 Grease. It is water resistant, and has rust inhibitors along with High pressure additives. A good grease for industrial applications. I like to grease all fittings regularly. That is very important to keep the pins and high friction points in good shape. There are many other good brands of grease out there as well. I have used John Deer grease too and found it to work well.

/ Terramite T9 General Usage Questions #7  
Hi Scott;

Welcome and glad you got a good machine. If I had to do it over, I would have bought one 35 years ago no matter how much I had to sacrifice. Mine is a gas T5C so can't help with diesel questions. But seeing as you're asking some good questions, you deserve some encouragement. One thing to keep in mind; this is a very difficult place to get answers. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of knowledge and great guys out there, but when you read of hundreds of views on your post and see a whole bunch supposedly on the Terramite forum, it does make you wonder. I tried for months to get a simply answer about the emergency brake but finally had to rebuild it by trial and error. Only thing i can figure is some folks are lazy; some don't write; and some may have no comment on your particular problem,. Then there are those who will try to help, and that makes it all worth while

Re: your questions, I am a great fan of Sea Foam now. I had no use for ANY additives, but a trusted friend talked me into trying it on my '58 Willys that always ran on 5 cylinders. Suddenly noticed it was running on 6, and has for 4 years now. I wouldn't be without it. So you may want to try a small amount and increase. Others may have their own ideas.

Re putting the loader down; I find that if I put it down at a sharp angle, it holds better than putting it flat. Can't do that on lawns or it will rip up the grass, but for regular digging, it helps hold in place. Outriggers keep it up, but don't do much to stop it from being pulled around.

Re cylinders; I posted a bunch of stuff a year or so ago and you can find it on archives. I had one leaker; got a little advice on this forum; and tore into it. Not bad. In fact, I enjoyed it so much, I kept going and did them all but 1 and am waiting to do that one. Mine are the kind with the wire retainer. I built a spanner wrench by welding a steel handle on a large washer cut into a U shape, and then welded in a couple pins. It works well but some of the ones you buy are adjustable for different sizes. I saw them on ebay.

Always glad to help with questions if I have any knowledge in the area you're asking . . .
Best wishes and Happy New year

John

Hey John,

Thanks for all the advice. It is good to see that some folks care enough to respond. That is crazy regarding the cylinder beginning to function properly again! I am going to post another thread regarding rebuilding cylinders. Feel free to chime in since you did what I am about to do...jumping in with both feet!