Terramite T9 hydraulic cylinder maintenance

/ Terramite T9 hydraulic cylinder maintenance #1  

scot74

Tractor
Terramite T9
I am about to learn how to rebuild\repack the outriggers on my Terramite T9 and have several questions. Any help would be appreciated!

1. What tools will I need to have on hand?
2. When rebuilding what type of cleaner can I use on the parts?
3. What type of lubrication should I use when repacking and is there any type to avoid?
4. We have a pretty robust rubber\gasket shop here, locally. Do you think they would have the parts or should I just get them from Terramite? I don't mind spending a little extra if it eliminates the hassle.

It appears to be more of a weepy cylinder as opposed to something that is severely damaged. I would expect replacing the seals and such to fix the problem.

Does anyone know of any instructions as to how to do it? I watched a guy on Youtube repack his John Deere outriggers. His machine was a lot larger but it seemed fairly straight forward.

Thanks again in advance!

Scot

/ Terramite T9 hydraulic cylinder maintenance #2  
Scot I cant be of much help on this as I personally have never went through any of my cylinders. But I do know that alan7s has a thread or two about it if you look through some back post. He may see your thread and chime in as well. If I remember right it did not sound like it was to bad of a job. If you get the proper spanner wrench I would think that would make it much easier. I know that my terramite uses some sort of a small brass or copper rod to hold the cap on the cylinder. Not sure if you can buy them anywhere or if it is a terramite only thing. Again maybe alan7s can help with this. Let us know how everything go's. I have one outrigger that is leaking a very small amount. I thought about tackling it this spring when the weather warms up.

Steve

/ Terramite T9 hydraulic cylinder maintenance
Thanks Steve. I will check out some of Alan7s' posts and also let you all know how it goes. I will probably contact Terramite tomorrow!

/ Terramite T9 hydraulic cylinder maintenance #4  
Thanks Steve. I will check out some of Alan7s' posts and also let you all know how it goes. I will probably contact Terramite tomorrow!

Scott; First you should determine what type of cylinder you have. They hold together differently; some with threads, some with a 1/8" wire. The ones I have have the wire. You can buy very nice
ones from Hercules online; I wrote a post about them. You need to put the hook on the end but if you have a Bernz torch it's easy. Look at the end where the piston comes out. If you see 2 holes about 1/4" deep on the face of the packing gland, look for a small hole in the outside wall of the cylinder right near the end. That's where the wire goes in. A spanner turns that end cap (gland) and the wire will come out. If you can get a small bit with a good vise grips, you can pull it that way. Once out, you're ready to remove the end cap. First be sure to drain the cylinder as much as you can by pulling the piston in and out - a tin can under each port is helpful. I found that once drained, clamping the cylinder in the bench vise and giving a strong pull on the piston, it pops out. If there's any fluid you missed, it will go EVERYWHERE.

Take note of the placement and direction of the parts. There are about 6 - 8 seals altogether. I don't known about a gasket shop but if you can find a hydraulic shop, you're good to go. Remove the seals - I marked each one with masking tape to write on it; then bring them in and let them measure them and find them or order them. NOTE: the flair on a seal goes one direction and you must get that right.
Also; a two piece seal (O-ring + flat spacer) can sometimes be replaced by a single piece seal; a little more expensive but does a better job. They will know about that. Getting them off is scary at first but once you know how tough they are, you can stretch them plenty but you must not knick or scratch them.

Once apart, you'll be amazed at how clean the inside is. Look for bent piston rod, scored cylinder walls etc. Probably it's just as you said; worn seals. The outer seal is the wiper seal and sometimes that one is shot and will allow the weeping.

That's enough for a start . . .