Tire chains for the tractor

/ Tire chains for the tractor #1  

Alan7s

Silver Member
Tractor
Terramite T5C
I didn't get much help last time I asked about this so maybe didn't give enough information. We live on the side of a hill, gentle slopes, not steep but not flat. Tractor is 2 wheel drive (T5C). With the deep snow this winter, I'm wondering about carving out a road from the house down to the firewood stacks in the back. Someone said that chains on the rear tires only provide traction to move forward, but the front can't steer so it just slides into the drift. Question is if chains on the front make a significant difference or without 4 wheel drive just forget it.

The other question would be whether it is practical to make a cut through snow anyway because unlike the back hoe that can swing to the side and dump, the loader only goes up and down, so where do you put what you pick up? By the way, we're talking 2 - 3 feet of snow; not Buffalo ;-). I'm sure this is obvious to the experienced, but don't want to put money into a useless idea. I have moved a lot of snow this winter, and the machine is great, but it has all been done sitting on a fairly level paved driveway. Once I start down the hill, I'd want to know I'd be coming back!

Thanks for any thoughts.

/ Tire chains for the tractor #2  
Chains will give you traction in both forward and reverse. Chains on the front will help to keep the front from sliding somewhat. The problem that you will have is trying to back up a hill with the front bucket loaded. The weight in the front along with the uphill angle will greatly reduce the traction of the rear tires even with chains. I suspect you will just sit there and spin. If you get a full scoop of dirt in the backhoe and extend the backhoe arm straight back some, that will put more weight on the rear tires and help with traction. Depending on the uphill angle, that still might not be enough to get adequate traction.

/ Tire chains for the tractor #3  
Also to be considered is using the split brakes for steering. Works equally well on either 2 or 4 WD.

I agree that coming back up the hill would be your biggest concern. A week ago I was skiddig some firewood logs out of a hollow and only had a 6' rise to get back onto the field and ended up having to help push myself back up with the bucket and use a longer chain from the flat to pull them. No chains on the tractor but 4wd

/ Tire chains for the tractor #4  
Get the chains. Mines a 2 wheel drive but with the differential lock on you'd be surprised the traction you get - backing up or going forward.

/ Tire chains for the tractor #5  
Thanks for any thoughts.

You have to be careful. Going up and down unpaved hills is a whole different ballgame than a level paved driveway. On bare ground that is frozen underneath and thawed on top gravity becomes the boss. Could your firewood stacks be moved closer to the house when you make them? If not then building a gravel road to them may be the answer. I have front v-bar chains (with 4WD) and they do reduce sideways movement from front blade but my driveway is gravel and I also have rear chains. IMO front chains only on a 2WD tractor would be a waste of money if your objective is to get up and down hills. Perhaps a better investment would be a snowblower? How far is it from your house to the stacks and how steep is it?

/ Tire chains for the tractor
You have to be careful. Going up and down unpaved hills is a whole different ballgame than a level paved driveway. On bare ground that is frozen underneath and thawed on top gravity becomes the boss. Could your firewood stacks be moved closer to the house when you make them? If not then building a gravel road to them may be the answer. I have front v-bar chains (with 4WD) and they do reduce sideways movement from front blade but my driveway is gravel and I also have rear chains. IMO front chains only on a 2WD tractor would be a waste of money if your objective is to get up and down hills. Perhaps a better investment would be a snowblower? How far is it from your house to the stacks and how steep is it?

Tractor stores in the garage and would need to go down a short (20') moderate slope to get to the back yard which is grass. The run between the wood stacks and the cellar window where I chute the wood in is about 20 yards but all lawn, and a gentle grade down to them. Can't bring the stacks closer as I don't want to give up the garden between them and the house. I would definitely consider either chains on all 4 or no chains; not front only. Terrasteve makes a good point about starting down a grade with a bucket load and then trying to back up to dump it someplace. Yes, I have considered a snow blower but storing it outside is NG - everything is drifted white around here now, and I'm unwilling to take the tractor out of the small one car garage. It's not sounding like chains are going to solve the problem of lot's of snow. Hopefully spring will come and that will help us all. But if we're in for more winters like this, I need to make some plans . . .

/ Tire chains for the tractor #7  
Chains on the rear tires will help a lot even in 2WD, and the backhoe on the back will help too for ballast. I don't know if your tractor has independent brakes, but in the ice and snow I need them a lot to help steer with especially when I am cleaning my driveway (just came in from doing that very thing) to keep a straight line as it is very steep. You may just have to try them and see.

/ Tire chains for the tractor #8  
What kind of tires do you have in the back? have you ever thought about filling them with fluid?

/ Tire chains for the tractor
What kind of tires do you have in the back? have you ever thought about filling them with fluid?

No, don't have individual brakes; in fact mine doesn't have any brakes at all. If you take your foot off the gas, it stops pretty quick.
I think it's due to hydrostatic transmission. Filling tires with water? Didn't know you could do that. Would you use antifreeze to keep
them from freezing solid? Interesting idea for sure.

By the way, because of the angle of driving surfaces - whether sloped or level, the bucket rarely touches down evenly, so when a
track was dug out, we'd still be looking at 2 - 4" of snow on the finished road. I can see where rear chains would be great for going along that ,
but on a slope with an angle trying to go uphill - either forward or in reverse - that seems to be the question. Filled tires does sound
interesting. I assume that's something I could do myself?

/ Tire chains for the tractor #10  
Yeah you either mix anti-freeze with the water or just use windshield washer fluid that is designed for cold weather. You can buy the valve to fill them at tractor supply. There are several different ways to fill them, I used a sump pump. You may check with you local tire store, most have the ability to fill tires and don't charge much to do it.