Front axle movement

/ Front axle movement #11  
I thought about machining the axle opening larger, then installing brass bushings in it. That would tighten it up. Then when it gets sloppy again just replace the bushings. Simple fix for a simple machine. Like I read some reviews before. The machine is lacking on the fine finishing stuff. better spool valves, better axle fit and little things like that would make it an even better unit but hey, these things are tanks and do what they we're designed to.

I did this to mine. My shaft was worn bad and the axle hole was worn, you couldn't drive straight with it, since it flopped back and forth so bad.
We machined the axle larger, made a bronze bushing out of some kind of really hard bronze (i forget the correct name), installed a new axle shaft. Ill probably never wear it out again, but if the bushing does wear out, ill just make a new one. It took all the play out of it. While i was in the steering, i changed out the worn tie rods to greaseable hiem joints. Steers like a champ now.

/ Front axle movement
On another note. I just noticed I have an oil leak on the pump shaft. Is that easily fixed or do I need to rebuild the pump? I seemed to have developed a few cylinder leaks to since replacing all the oil with 10w 30 because of the cold temps. Will heavier weight help stop the leaks and could I put some additive in to help as well?

/ Front axle movement #13  
On another note. I just noticed I have an oil leak on the pump shaft. Is that easily fixed or do I need to rebuild the pump? I seemed to have developed a few cylinder leaks to since replacing all the oil with 10w 30 because of the cold temps. Will heavier weight help stop the leaks and could I put some additive in to help as well?

Have you contacted a dealer or the company about the play in the axle pivot? My Kubota has an adjustment for this and recommend periodic adjustment.
As to the oil seals leaking-using additives to swell the seals is a very last resort. The chemicals effect all seals which can cause good seals to wear faster.
Heavier weight oil will help but is it within the range recommended? Heavy oil is thicker in cold weather and can increase working pressures.

/ Front axle movement
Yes the heavier weight oil is recommended at temps above 40 degrees. I think it's either 15w 40 or 10 w 40. I have to check the manual. The axle movement really doesn't have any adjustment. It just has a castle nut on the end of the axle pin to hold it on. It seems all these machines have axle play.

/ Front axle movement #15  
I did this to mine. My shaft was worn bad and the axle hole was worn, you couldn't drive straight with it, since it flopped back and forth so bad.
We machined the axle larger, made a bronze bushing out of some kind of really hard bronze (i forget the correct name), installed a new axle shaft. Ill probably never wear it out again, but if the bushing does wear out, ill just make a new one. It took all the play out of it. While i was in the steering, i changed out the worn tie rods to greaseable hiem joints. Steers like a champ now.

Thanks for this info. It would be really good - if you think of it and time allows - to see how it's doing after a couple months of using it, to return to this thread and post a report how it's holding up. Mine was quiet and steered great for about a week and then right back to the same old condition. If you found something that works, I for one would like to know it. Some say these machines are just built that way and it's "normal," but there's no proof it's going to get only so bad and then stop there. My observation is that it keeps getting a little worse all the time, and your case seemed to prove that.

/ Front axle movement #16  
Thanks for this info. It would be really good - if you think of it and time allows - to see how it's doing after a couple months of using it, to return to this thread and post a report how it's holding up. Mine was quiet and steered great for about a week and then right back to the same old condition. If you found something that works, I for one would like to know it. Some say these machines are just built that way and it's "normal," but there's no proof it's going to get only so bad and then stop there. My observation is that it keeps getting a little worse all the time, and your case seemed to prove that.

We did the repair two winters ago. The machine doesn't get a ton of use, it may sit for 5 months at a time, but when it gets used its normally a project. I did just grease it the other week and had the axle in the air to get grease to flow easy and it still had no play.

/ Front axle movement #17  
We did the repair two winters ago. The machine doesn't get a ton of use, it may sit for 5 months at a time, but when it gets used its normally a project. I did just grease it the other week and had the axle in the air to get grease to flow easy and it still had no play.

OK thanks for that. One more thing before I forget; Can you shed some light on what you meant above by "We machined the axle larger" ? I see you said you also replaced the axle, so maybe this was referring to the hole? But you did use a larger diameter axle and not just a new one? Someone must have welded the inner nut onto the frame of mine, so I'm not sure if I could use a larger axle without removing the engine to get at it, and that's a lot of work.

/ Front axle movement #18  
OK thanks for that. One more thing before I forget; Can you shed some light on what you meant above by "We machined the axle larger" ? I see you said you also replaced the axle, so maybe this was referring to the hole? But you did use a larger diameter axle and not just a new one? Someone must have welded the inner nut onto the frame of mine, so I'm not sure if I could use a larger axle without removing the engine to get at it, and that's a lot of work.
Im calling the axle the piece that holds the spindles, and I'm calling the axle shaft the threaded piece that has the cotter pins in it. If i remember right, the inner nut on mine was welded also. If i remember ill try to get some pics of what we did. Just have to wait for it to warm up.

/ Front axle movement #19  
Im calling the axle the piece that holds the spindles, and I'm calling the axle shaft the threaded piece that has the cotter pins in it. If i remember right, the inner nut on mine was welded also. If i remember ill try to get some pics of what we did. Just have to wait for it to warm up.

OK thank you; that makes sense. I'm thinking the axle has to be round but that's not right . . .the wheel spindles are on the axle.
If you think of the type of brass / bronze you used, I'd be glad to know that also; I have worked with sintered bronze but didn't
seem overly hard, at least machining it on a lather wasn't bad.

/ Front axle movement #20  
OK thank you; that makes sense. I'm thinking the axle has to be round but that's not right . . .the wheel spindles are on the axle.
If you think of the type of brass / bronze you used, I'd be glad to know that also; I have worked with sintered bronze but didn't
seem overly hard, at least machining it on a lather wasn't bad.

Ill have to ask my pop, he is the machinist and knows all the ins and outs of material. I just wiggle through running the lathes and mill for my own stuff.