Front axle movement

/ Front axle movement #1  

Murphydudley

Tractor
Terramite t5c
How much play should here be in the front axle on the pivot shaft? I've looked on the parts break down for a bushing but didn't see any. There is 1/8" or so worth of play when pushing the tires front and back. Is that normal, can I tighten up the shaft nut or is the axle that worn? This is my first terramite and just bought it. Everything else works great on the machine. My first time on a forum as well. I always read thm but never add to them. Thanks in advance.

/ Front axle movement #2  
Mine has about the same amount of play. Not sure what normal play should be as I bought mine used and that's the way I got it. I have had it for 3or4 years now and always keep the pivot pin well greased. The play is still the same as when I got it, so it has not gotten any worse.

/ Front axle movement
How much play should here be in the front axle on the pivot shaft? I've looked on the parts break down for a bushing but didn't see any. There is 1/8" or so worth of play when pushing the tires front and back. Is that normal, can I tighten up the shaft nut or is the axle that worn? This is my first terramite and just bought it. Everything else works great on the machine. My first time on a forum as well. I always read them but never add to them. Thanks in advance.

I guess I could always stop by a rental yard to check out their machines front axles to. I'm preatty particular with my equipment and tools. I like to replace anything that is worn before it causes bigger problems. I service hvac equipment for a living. Maintenance goes a long way towards equipment life and reduces breakdowns. We always say pay me now or pay me later, but usually later will cost a lot more. I serviced the machine from top to bottom the week I bought it. The axle play just bothers me. It's probably not a huge deal since I only use it around my property but like to know what's normal and what's not. It has 1240 hrs. I had a l175 kubota before this that treated me great, just decided to upgrade a little. I always serviced it regularly. It never failed me.

/ Front axle movement
I stopped by a rental yard today. I looked a 2 t5's and 1 t9. All three had the same axle movement. One had 500 hrs, the others had 1200 hrs. I also spoke with a guy at work who's father has a t5. He said his has the axle movement as well. It seems to be the way they are built I guess.

/ Front axle movement #6  
Thanks for the info. I was a little worried about mine when I first got it, but it hasn't got any worse over the years. Must just be the way they are. And enjoy your terramite they certainly are a handy machine to have around.

/ Front axle movement #7  
I stopped by a rental yard today. I looked a 2 t5's and 1 t9. All three had the same axle movement. One had 500 hrs, the others had 1200 hrs. I also spoke with a guy at work who's father has a t5. He said his has the axle movement as well. It seems to be the way they are built I guess.

I have a T5C and the axle movement bothered me too, so took the thing all apart. Some of the steering slop was corrected by the steering linkage that needed tightening,
but the bang-bang from the axle looseness was something else. I finally put a large washer under the castle nut and greased it well before tightening - then backed off a bit
and put the 1/4 - 20 bolt back in. For a few weeks it was silent and the steering a breeze. Then the same old situation developed again with the same Bang-bang when
you operate it. I think the pressure is so great that the bolt just bends to allow the movement. Probably the answer - as someone suggested above -is to just live with it.

Like you, I'm careful about my equipment and don't like stuff that appears to be in the process of falling apart. If that's really the way it's supposed to be, then we just learn
to live with it. But seems like some simple design modifications could fix it permanently. That will have to wait for the tundra to melt . . .

/ Front axle movement
I thought about machining the axle opening larger, then installing brass bushings in it. That would tighten it up. Then when it gets sloppy again just replace the bushings. Simple fix for a simple machine. Like I read some reviews before. The machine is lacking on the fine finishing stuff. better spool valves, better axle fit and little things like that would make it an even better unit but hey, these things are tanks and do what they we're designed to.

/ Front axle movement #9  
I thought about machining the axle opening larger, then installing brass bushings in it. That would tighten it up. Then when it gets sloppy again just replace the bushings. Simple fix for a simple machine. Like I read some reviews before. The machine is lacking on the fine finishing stuff. better spool valves, better axle fit and little things like that would make it an even better unit but hey, these things are tanks and do what they we're designed to.

I honestly don't think brass would work. The leverage is so great that steel loosens up; brass would be like butter in there. If one could weld a steel bushing - say 1" long onto the plate and then secure the axle pin in there, I think it would do something.