Hydraulic System Oil Change

/ Hydraulic System Oil Change #1  

JonnyRed

Silver Member
Tractor
5835R Branson
I just purchased a 2005 T5C a few weeks back and decided to change out the hydraulic system oil. Unless I am missing something, there is not a drain plug/petcock anywhere on the hydraulic reservoir. I ended up removing the 3/4" hose on the lower side of the tank and drained it that way. Lifted the hoe as high as she would go and put the bucket of the loader on the ground. I was only able to add 4 gallons of 15W40 before I was registering as full on the dipstick. Is that normal? I thought the system capacity was 7 gallons? Does that mean there was 3 gallons of oil still in the system? If so, that kinda stinks that I wasn't able to put a little more than half capacity in fresh oil.

/ Hydraulic System Oil Change #2  
Unless the old oil is milky I wouldn't worry about it.

/ Hydraulic System Oil Change
Old oil looked great, only reason I changed it was because the filter looked old and I had no clear info on when it was last done.

Thanks

/ Hydraulic System Oil Change #4  
In my experience you're good to go.

/ Hydraulic System Oil Change #5  
I also was looking for what wasn't there. The elusive drain plug. I am contimplating having one put in. Placement & ease of access seem to at war with each other.
has any one done this ??

/ Hydraulic System Oil Change #6  
I have a 2004 T5C. I use gravity to get more hydraulic oil out. Put a load of dirt in bucket then drive right wheel on a pile of dirt. This will make oil in tank all run to the left side where the oil drain out. Raise front bucket. Have outriggers up. Have dirt in rear bucket. Extend boom out. To drain sump, loosen hose clamp on lower left side of tank and pull hose off. I catch oil in a plastic tub. After sump is done, dump front bucket and that will force oil out of the cylinder. Drop front bucket and two more cylinders force oil back into the tank. Step on outriggers, while lifting up on outrigger's lever, again that will empty outriggers cylinders back to the tank. Dump rear bucket, then drop boom arm. Unscrew the oil filter and that drains down too. This will help to drain down more oil.

I think you will come closer to getting 5 gallons out of system.
George