Flush Those Fuel Tanks

/ Flush Those Fuel Tanks #1  

CarlL

Tractor
Terramite T9
The fuel tanks on Terramites are integral to the machine. Repair or replacement is extremely expensive. The tanks are steel with no type of liner, so they are subject to rusting and buildup of all kinds of junk.

My recommendation is to drain the tank and flush it with clean fuel every two years, if not annually. Tilt the machine forward using the outriggers and then remove the drain plug at the front inner corner of the tank, over a bucket. Remember, a full tank is 9.5 gallons, so wait until there is a gallon or two left in the tank. Flush until the fuel comes out clean. Replace the in-line fuel filter that is right at the tank outlet. I recommend using a clear filter, so you can easily keep an eye on any buildup of rust flakes, etc.

Like any other power equipment, Terramite recommends draining the complete fuel system if you are not going to use the machine over the winter.

If you are having any fuel related problems, I also recommend taking the electric fuel pump apart and cleaning the piston. I found the piston in mine had some buildup and was not as free as it should be. This could lower the pressure or slow down the pump, causing hesitation under load.

Keep the tank full to avoid condensation and make sure you use a main filter on the engine with a drain in it. You can then easily drain any water that gets into the filter, before you start the engine.

This info comes from my experience with my T9 diesel, but I believe it is applicable to other versions.

/ Flush Those Fuel Tanks #2  
my t9 has the green diesel eddelbrock fuel pump and matching filter from orileys hot rod section. it works great. the filter screws right into the pump!! great set up

/ Flush Those Fuel Tanks
my t9 has the green diesel eddelbrock fuel pump and matching filter from orileys hot rod section. it works great. the filter screws right into the pump!! great set up

The Edelbrock pump is probably a bit of an overkill for the low gph requirements of the T9 diesel, so it will certainly do a great job. My recommendation about draining the tank at least every couple of years still holds. The filter before the fuel pump takes most of the load in filtering any solids out of the diesel fuel and it can clog up. Because of this, I would try to use a clear filter if possible. I added an inline shutoff valve in front of my filter. It enables filter changes without draining the tank or getting fuel all over my hands and stuff.

Remember, the number 1 contamination in all diesel fuel is water. Over time, it will attack the metal of the fuel tanks, adding to sediment in the bottom of the tank. In addition, not all fuel stations have clean tanks, so my fuel can has a mesh over the spout to pick up contamination and I have found crud on that filter, even after changing fuel sources twice. Also, if you don't dump the last couple of ounces of fuel from the can, it can help keep out anything in the bottom of the can.

Make sure your screw on fuel filter has a water separator with a drain. Loosen the drain and drain off an ounce or two every couple of uses to reduce any water impact on the injectors.

Great machine, as long as you don't have to move anything too far.

/ Flush Those Fuel Tanks #4  
i agree 100% carl. everything you say is true. i took plug out of the bottom of fuel tank and out came the crap. i had to poke up through the hole because it was clogged with the crap and not draining!!! i also put a snowmobile shut off at the tank outlet using 5/16 fuel line. i will also add a see through filter later when i get time. i was at ruel king the other day and i was in the farm tractor section and noticed the the fuel things that have a bowel on them. do u have any experience with these? i guess they are sedament bowls??

/ Flush Those Fuel Tanks #5  
can a person add a additive to the fuel to reduce moisture??