Terramite t5c not running once hooked to hydrostatic trans

/ Terramite t5c not running once hooked to hydrostatic trans #1  

Tractortime7

Tractor
Terramite
New to this group. My Terramite from the early 90s gave up the other day. I put a new camshaft and crankshaft in and the motor fired right up on my bench. Once I couple the motor to the hydro the motor won't turn over. I can spin the hydro with my hand but it seems like this extra tension will not allow the motor to fire up. Any ideas?

/ Terramite t5c not running once hooked to hydrostatic trans #2  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum Tractortime. You came to the right place to get any question answered.

I can't help since I don't know much about Terramite, but sounds like something is binding.

/ Terramite t5c not running once hooked to hydrostatic trans #3  
The big question is what caused the crankshaft to break. It sounds like the hydraulic motor locked up.

/ Terramite t5c not running once hooked to hydrostatic trans #4  
If you can spin the hydro with you hand, but the motor won't spin them, maybe you're pinching something in the coupling between the motor and hydro.

/ Terramite t5c not running once hooked to hydrostatic trans #5  
How are they connected to each other?

/ Terramite t5c not running once hooked to hydrostatic trans
How are they connected to each other?
a plastic sleeve slides on the rear of the motor and then on the hydrostatic pump... when I crank the motor the hydrolics all work from just the starter pumping the fluid around.

It looks like it was broken for some time and was grinding away at the teeth until it had nothing left to spin

/ Terramite t5c not running once hooked to hydrostatic trans #8  
a plastic sleeve slides on the rear of the motor and then on the hydrostatic pump... when I crank the motor the hydrolics all work from just the starter pumping the fluid around.

OK, so the starter can spin the motor over, and the starter can spin the motor over and pump hydraulics.

So the problem is your motor will not FIRE when its hooked up to the load of the hydraulics.

- Sounds stupid, but check the gas.
- Give it just a tiny shot of carb cleaner or starting fluid down the throat and see if it pops.
If it doesn't pop on carb cleaner or starting fluid:
- Pull a spark plug from the motor and see if you have spark while you're spinning it with the starter.

It does pop when given a shot of either but not enough to start. Both cylinders have spark when hooked up the the trans... it seems like somehow the hydrostatic is holding back the motor from starting. I even replaced the starter and still nothing

/ Terramite t5c not running once hooked to hydrostatic trans #10  
I'd guess I'd make sure all of your hydraulic valves are in a neutral position, and nothing is dead-headed (hydraulic lines plugged off), etc... I have an electric solenoid valve on mine to operate a hydraulic PTO, and if that is engaged, it'lll give me fits trying to start. Look for stuff like that.