Traction Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills)

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #1  

rsl360

Tractor
electrak e12, e15, e20, Terramite T9 4WD
I'm looking to getting a Terramite. My yard has a couple of moderately steep hills.

I've never driven a machine with a HST, but as I understand it, when you have the foot pedal in "neutral", the machine should be somewhat locked, correct? I realize that there might be some leakage, and thus creapage, but the machine should be resistant to rolling, right? I would expect it not to just roll freely downhill.

I have a friend who has a Terramite T5C, and he says that his Terramite simple rolls down hills. (his yard is basically flat, so it does not matter. There is just one small drop of a couple of feet at the end of the driveway, which is where it rolls.) He says that driving it in my yard would be terrifying. Is this normal, or is his machine somewhat broken? It works fine for him, but I agree, it would not work in my yard. Is this normal for Terramites?

RSL360

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #2  
all the hydro's i've had will not move in 'neutral' or when off. all have some override, most have parking brakes (maybe all..can't recall..don't use it if they do).

I have a Kioti CK3510HST coming today - the test drive at the dealer they don't use the parking brake either...foot off pedals (one each for F, R)and it sits still.

I'll be able to let you know about 15 minutes after they deliver it (today i'm told...promised..today!!) as I too want to know.

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #3  
My CK 27 will roll if left on a incline and the pedal in neutral. I either set the brake or put the bucket or box blade down. I don't believe the hydro system has a brake system built in to stop it from rolling.

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #4  
Same here, stays put on flat ground, rolls slowly on a hill. Best to get used to using the parking brake, especially if working near the machine.

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #5  
Neutral is neutral, not park. It is resistant to rolling because it has to force the pump to work, but it is by no means safe to leave on a hill without other means to keep it stopped. As 747driver says, putting the bucket down is one way. And yes, I always use my brakes, even on level ground, to make sure my tractor doesn't run me over when I walk around it (engine running).

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #6  
Same here, stays put on flat ground, rolls slowly on a hill. Best to get used to using the parking brake, especially if working near the machine.

Good advice. Even in neutral my two will roll slowly down a grade. I need to remember that from time to time because I will park the tractor and can have my feet in front of the rear wheels. Could be a disaster.

I have a steepish hill where I just take my foot off the gas and the engine and transmission braking will allow the tractor to move 2-3 mph down the hill.

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills)
Neutral is neutral, not park. It is resistant to rolling because it has to force the pump to work, but it is by no means safe to leave on a hill without other means to keep it stopped. As 747driver says, putting the bucket down is one way. And yes, I always use my brakes, even on level ground, to make sure my tractor doesn't run me over when I walk around it (engine running).

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. The Terramite only has a parking brake, which does not look like something you would use control your speed when going down a hill. (correct me if I'm wrong.) But no "brakes' per-say. So to go down a hill, you just drive slowly and the transmission restrains the tractor, yes? Neutral is not so much "neutral", as it is a speed of zero?

Anyway, it sound like my friends Terramite is not right, his just zooms down a hill like it's freewheeling. Do the Terramites have a transport or relief valve, that could be set wrong or broken? I suppose the hydraulic clearances could just be really sloppy. Since he does not have any hills to speak of, he does not run into the issue of not being able to get up them. Basically, the tractor works well for what he needs to do. If it lacks drive torque, he might never notice.

RSL360

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #8  
I've got a T5 (1984 ish) and a T9. The center position of the pedal is zero speed. It does stop on the hills, but both will creep. Only the T9 has a parking brake. They didn't install them on the old T5's.

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #9  
I have some very steep hills, and I operate my Hydro tractor on them. Here is a description of operation on these hills. If you are moving forward at a good clip down hill in 4wd for instance and yank your foot of of the forward pedal, it will practically snap you neck stopping. BUT it will then start to slowly roll down that hill, unless you touch the brakes or apply some reverse pedal. If you shut the tractor off, and the charge pump leaks down, I have heard the hydro will take off down hill and gather speed. I can't testify to this exactly, as I have always hit the brakes. I never wanted my tractor down is some ravine. If you go down this hill in 2WD the tires will start to slip on the gravel surface and can totally lose traction with the road surface. Of course this has nothing to do with Hydrostat, as a gear tractor will do the same thing as engine braking will cause this just the same as the "braking" applied by the hydro. So to answer you question, as soon as you come off of the "go pedal". A hydro should slow you down, some will slow you down really fast. But they will all creep downhill without pedal input.

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #10  
So to go down a hill, you just drive slowly and the transmission restrains the tractor, yes? Neutral is not so much "neutral", as it is a speed of zero?
We may be in agreement... but, neutral really is neutral. The transmission is not engaged to the wheels. It will roll easily.

When in gear, centering a treadle pedal is 'zero speed'. The transmission is attached to the wheels, but the hydro isn't pushing fluid (swash plate is flat) so the tractor doesn't move under its own power.

Never go down a hill in neutral, your tractor will run away from you.

As you said. to go down hill leave it in gear and accelerate to a comfortable and controllable speed. Centering the treadle pedal will stop the tractor... but it won't hold it.