Up from Terramite

/ Up from Terramite #1  

StolenBarn

Hi all - I'm currently have a terramite T5c compact loader/backhoe which I use for small tree planting, trenching, general light excavation and clearing, etc.... It is a nice machine, but I am ready to trade up.

I would like to upgrade to a tractor with loader and backhoe implements and mowing deck. I need it to be real strong, bigger that the T5c and more powerful with greater digging depth (the 'mite digs 8'5"), and able to be towed behind a standard full size PU on a 10,000 GVW trailer. I have a flexible budget for this machine and would like it to be easy to operate, feature rich and very reliable. I'm partial to Deere, but open to suggestions. Any advice? Also, any thoughts on the value of the 'mite? It has 140 homeowner hours and is a 2001 machine with high floatation tires, quick release bucket, and was recently serviced by an authorized dealer - ready to work.

/ Up from Terramite #2  
Terramite's home page has used ones that range from $9500 to $11500. Yours is newer so I would think you could get the $11,500. I guess finding the right person would be the tough part.

murph

/ Up from Terramite #3  
In order to get "more digging depth" out of a backhoe on a CUT, you're going to have to have a pretty good sized CUT.
I'm not sure about all the brand's requirments, but for most anything under 50HP, I've only seen 8.5" backhoes. I've seen 9.5" and larger on some 60HP and up models.
Of course, this is just my own experience, you may find differently. John

/ Up from Terramite #4  
Well, I would recommend the John Deere 110 TLB. It is very feature rich and can be towed behind a 3/4 ton truck with 10,000 lb. trailer. Since you said you were doing some trenching, the "Creep-to-reposition" feature would be very handy to have, but since you seem like an experienced hoe operator you are probably use to moving the machine with the hoe. "C-T-R" has a lever that is easily reachable from the backhoe seat, and is activated using a thumb bar and directionaly rocker switch. The 110 is more rugged than the standard CUT. It can dig 10'1" deep. It can have a thumb, 4in1 FEL bucket, quick attach hoe buckets, hammers, augers, etc. I think the 110 would be the best candidate in your situation, however, the FEL is not removable. Since you mentioned you wanted a mower deck (I presume RFM), it may be hard maneuvering around things if obstacles are an issue. The hoe on the 110 is removable so you can use a 3PH for other implements. The 110 is 43hp with 33 PTO hp and about 31 hydraulic HP. It has a HST transmission with the Load Match feature which prevents stalling.

/ Up from Terramite #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The 110 is more rugged than the standard CUT. It can dig 10'1" deep. It can have a thumb, 4in1 FEL bucket, quick attach hoe buckets, hammers, augers, etc. )</font>
JayC, doesn't this model start around $30,000? I know it's gotten some rave reviews, but to get all one might want, this could get VERY expensive! John

/ Up from Terramite #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( JayC, doesn't this model start around $30,000? I know it's gotten some rave reviews, but to get all one might want, this could get VERY expensive! )</font>

hehe Yeah, it does cost a pretty penny. You would only find a used at $30k. And that is with a few hundred hours! I went to Deere's site and configured one the way I wanted it and it was around $62,000! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

That price, though, was MSRP and I hadn't figured things in like 15-20% off, taxes /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif, etc. Then it got down to around high $40's low $50's! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The local dealer has them for $32,995. Those look like the basic models. $32,995 is still a good price for one. The base machine on Deere's configurator lists for $41. Keep in mind this is with no accessories or things like buckets.

I recommended the 110 because he said he wanted something bigger, powerful, feature rich, and preferred Deere's. He also said that he wanted to use 3PH implements. I don't think machines like the Terramite can do that.

/ Up from Terramite
Thanks! I would love a 110. It lists out fully equipped for something like $48k. That is one enormous step up from a 'mite. You are right - it is almost perfect for my needs, except that it is a bit much for mowing. I'm hoping to spend more like $20 - 25K or so. I don't absolutely need to dig beyond 8'5", but depth is a good thing.

/ Up from Terramite #8  
<font color="green"> I recommended the 110 because he said he wanted something bigger, powerful, feature rich, and preferred Deere's. He also said that he wanted to use 3PH implements. I don't think machines like the Terramite can do that.
</font>
I also don't think that most of the CUTs are even close to being as capable as the 110, even if you can configure one to meet your needs, it will likely be larger and less maneuverable and may not be as capable in many ways.

/ Up from Terramite #9  
<font color="blue"> I also don't think that most of the CUTs are even close to being as capable as the 110, even if you can configure one to meet your needs, it will likely be larger and less maneuverable and may not be as capable in many ways. </font>

To me, the 110 looks small. I don't know why. I think it would be pretty maneuverable. Being the HST pedals and brakes are on opposite sides, you could use the differential braking to make tighter turns. Normal CUTs wouldn't even compare to the 110. It is in a whole other league. The 110 was inspired by and designed after the 310 backhoe. It was three years in development. Deere really did their homework with this one. The price could be better, though. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Up from Terramite #10  
What are the specs on the T5C? I don't know anything about the Terramites.

How much do you mow? For the price of an RFM you could get a dedicated lawn or garden tractor.